Interesting Black Dial New England Duplex

If you ask here, someone may tell you what they think of your timepiece, or one that you are interested in. All advice is free. Do not to base your trading or other financial decisions on information given in this forum. We do not accept responsibility for any loss that you may incur as an outcome of your taking advice here. If financial value is important to you, please consult a professional valuer or appraisal expert.
Forum rules
You may ask about the value of any item. However, if that item is in a live sale or auction the topic is likely to be closely moderated. Please post ONE ITEM per topic.

Interesting Black Dial New England Duplex

New postby 4brokenow » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:32 pm

I picked up this very interesting New England pocket watch recently while visiting a local antique shop. I would guess this is a 1901 -1910 manufactured date though it will be a mystery as there is no serial number anywhere.

This model is a Duplex escapement which makes it very interesting in itself. The movement is marked "Padishah" which seems by Google to be a word of Turkish association meaning "The Master" or "The King". Also this particular watch is fitted with a beautiful enameled Black dial with radial gold figures that are 3 dimensional under magnification. This particular dial is like one I have never seen before on a New England. The watch is also fitted with a display back. The watch is in remarkable condition and there isn't even a scratch on the very bright gilt plates so based on this and the condition of the crown I am guessing this watch sat in storage for most of it's life.

Does anyone have insight into how unique this watch may be? Also, any idea of value?

I do know good examples of New England Duplexes can bring some significant money but am not certain on the scarcity of this example. The display back raises another question in itself. Was it made for exposition or a Salesman's sample perhaps? I am also very aware of the crazy money nice examples of the skeletons made by New England's bring.

Any help or comments are very welcomed! Thanks!

Front_smaller.JPG

back_smaller.JPG
Phil Rickert
4brokenow

NAWCC #: 170509

Re: Interesting Black Dial New England Duplex

New postby brownsrplm » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:52 pm

Phil,
Looks a lot like my Addison. The book states this is the same as the Pilgrim and yes, both are duplex escapement watches. New England Watch Co. did a lot of special things with dials, most of which were paper. I prefer the enamel one's which is why I bought the Addison that I now have. Love to watch them run, it's sort of like a quartz watch, but without the accuracy. Not worth a whole lot by the way...
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

New postby 4brokenow » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:06 pm

Ray,

Thanks for your comment. What is "not worth a whole lot" equate to in $$ if you wouldn't mind sharing your opinion. Nice ones for comparison consideration seem to be few and far between in my searching.

What do you make of it having a display back? Was this one of those special things the company would do?

Phil
Phil Rickert
4brokenow

New postby brownsrplm » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:03 pm

Phil,
My guess in light of how few of these have survived in near perfect condition would be around $100-$125. The display back is more than likely something that was done after the fact. If it were a factory case there is no record of such except for the skeleton watches (which take a different case). By the way, my guess is this case has two fronts on it since it is a snap bezel case...
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

New postby 4brokenow » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:43 pm

I guess one thing comical is the Price Guide prices compared to what Ashland has listed some of these SOLD for. Apparently Ashland can charge a lot more than their Founder and Author decided to list in the book. But as we all know the book seems to have many gross price inaccuracies, and not just with this manufacturer. Especially in the column to the far right. In my opinion for these "Cheaper" watches when found in great condition should bring significantly more money than the run-of-the-mill.

A fun watch to Service. The Duplex was interesting and amazing in its own right with its close tolerances. To staff one of these looks like a real challenge. The irony is I have another smaller fancy dial in a GF case that needs a staff. I am not sure where I would even look to find one. Might be a fun project to attempt to strengthen skills though.
Phil Rickert
4brokenow

Return to Appraisal Desk