Waltham 0s Grade 165 - 14k case

If you ask here, someone may tell you what they think of your timepiece, or one that you are interested in. All advice is free. Do not to base your trading or other financial decisions on information given in this forum. We do not accept responsibility for any loss that you may incur as an outcome of your taking advice here. If financial value is important to you, please consult a professional valuer or appraisal expert.
Forum rules
You may ask about the value of any item. However, if that item is in a live sale or auction the topic is likely to be closely moderated. Please post ONE ITEM per topic.

Waltham 0s Grade 165 - 14k case

New postby perby » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:15 pm

Hi all,
I am not a real fan of these smaller size watches, and am wondering if there would be enough interest in this watch if I put it here. Just some helpful suggestions, and approx. worth of this little gem.
14K Gold case.
It seems to run, do not have any history on it, could likely use a good cleaning. Cartouche is not engraved, opens 90 degrees, bow stiff. No marks on the case, slight abrasions near where you open the movement cover.
The spot on the dial is something(fluff) under, but on the crystal.
Info please,
Bill

0s Waltham 14k 001.jpg
0s Waltham 14k 002.jpg
0s Waltham 14k 003.jpg
0s Waltham 14k 004.jpg
Last edited by Glyn Meredith on Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Pics placed inline.
Bill Manders
perby

Re: Waltham 0s Grade 165 - 14k case

New postby Neilywatch » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:44 pm

Bill -

The one thing you got going for this watch is there are no issues with the case - it is just about perfect. Anything less, and it becomes a scrap gold item. Like you suspected there is very little interest in these watches outside of the metal.

They were selling on eBay for $350 before Gold collapsed this week. I think maybe you would get $250 for it or in that ballpark.

I do collect them - specific ones - if it had a grade 166 movement I would be offering to buy it from you!! That is a 15j in GILT - I have been trying to find one for a long time. I think they were only made for export - EG your neck of the woods. :)

It can't hurt to list here if you choose to do that.
Neil Wohl
Neilywatch

NAWCC #: 0122281

Re: Waltham 0s Grade 165 - 14k case

New postby MartyW » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:18 pm

c - ELGIN - 1793382.JPG
a - ELGIN - 1793382.JPG
I both agree & disagree with Neil about that case.Probably 95% of these small size cases are just scrap, but when you get one as nice as yours is I believe that 'scrap' has to become a forgotten word.

Take a look at the 6 size Elgin posted above. It's perfect save for an inscription on the cuvette, and it must be one of the heaviest 6 size cases ever made. The empty case less crystal and stem weighed in at 22.43 dwt, that's 34.9 grams, and if you were to remove the lift spring I would imagine it would still be over an ounce. Scrapping a case like yours or mine would be tantamount to blasphemy, any way you look at it. Mine houses a 15 jewel Elgin grade 67.
Marty Wagner
Klaatu Barada Nikto
MartyW

Return to Appraisal Desk