1820,s Tall case clock, 8 day.

If you ask here, someone may tell you what they think of your timepiece, or one that you are interested in. All advice is free. Do not to base your trading or other financial decisions on information given in this forum. We do not accept responsibility for any loss that you may incur as an outcome of your taking advice here. If financial value is important to you, please consult a professional valuer or appraisal expert.
Forum rules
You may ask about the value of any item. However, if that item is in a live sale or auction the topic is likely to be closely moderated. Please post ONE ITEM per topic.

1820,s Tall case clock, 8 day.

New postby veritas » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:34 am

DSC02582.JPG
Hello i recently bought this for 400 dollars. I have looked at auctions and sold clocks and i think around Canadian maybe a 1000 dollars. I am hoping to do a restoration of the hood, as the previous owner has stripped it. I have everything for it, just needs a glass in the front. It has tin can weights, and the pendulum and rod as well.
Here are some pictures i took.

DSC02585.JPG
DSC02581.JPG
DSC02584.JPG
Last edited by Glyn Meredith on Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Placed pics inline
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

Re: 1820,s Tall case clock, 8 day.

New postby cannon pinion » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:39 am

Lovely clock, but is the hood the original with the finish taken off or a rebuild? The original wood has such a beautiful look to it from the age, and from the old finishes they used . How are you planning to make it match up.
Dial is worth the purchase price, in my book.
Andrew Yale
cannon pinion

New postby brownsrplm » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:42 am

Can't really help on resale value because it has bounced around so much as of late. I had a complete movement like this that I gave to my brother a few years back. I believe that one was a very early Kieninger if I remember correct. I still have two complete sets of movements for Hermle's and still haven't found cases. Your wood looks exceptionally nice for it's age. It will be a detractor for resale because it has been stripped and redone. Like Andy, I wonder if you are going to be able to match it to the original bottom, or may have to do the rest of it...
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

New postby Neilywatch » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:07 pm

I just came back from an NAWCC meeting today and saw one almost identical to yours except the moon was a 31-day calendar. The seller was happy to get $650 for it. It had some issues but not a stripped bonnet.
Neil Wohl
Neilywatch

NAWCC #: 0122281

New postby veritas » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:55 pm

Thanks Neil. Yes the hood was stripped. I am going to get some scrap wood to practice some faux painting on. I feel i can make it look presentable again.
Its all original and there so that is a good thing. No big issues with the movement, needs some bushings.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

Return to Appraisal Desk