CAMY 25 jewel Superautomatic

If you ask here, someone may tell you what they think of your timepiece, or one that you are interested in. All advice is free. Do not to base your trading or other financial decisions on information given in this forum. We do not accept responsibility for any loss that you may incur as an outcome of your taking advice here. If financial value is important to you, please consult a professional valuer or appraisal expert.
Forum rules
You may ask about the value of any item. However, if that item is in a live sale or auction the topic is likely to be closely moderated. Please post ONE ITEM per topic.

CAMY 25 jewel Superautomatic

New postby Irwin » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:03 pm

I bought this one at a flea market today for 5 Pounds.
A quick search on eBay makes me think I might have got a bargain.
It's a Camy Superautomatic 25 jewels.
It runs, but the date setting doesn't work.
Anybody know anything about these?

cam3.jpg

cam2.jpg

cam1.jpg
IF
Irwin
GH Moderator

Skype Account: sirirwin
NAWCC #: 167882

Re: CAMY 25 jewel Superautomatic

New postby Neilywatch » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:27 pm

You may have a watch that was made without a date corrector. You either have to set the hands back to 730 PM and then to midnight to change the date, or go around 24 hrs.

Looks like an old ETA movement. I can see the ebauche numbers but can't make them out.

5 pounds is a good deal for it~
Neil Wohl
Neilywatch

NAWCC #: 0122281

New postby Irwin » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:04 pm

Neil - Many thanks for the 'how to' directions. It is now changing dates - a lot of winding involved as today is the 28th and it was set on the 10th.
I am really pleased it's working.
So, it isn't a high value watch like the prices asked for on eBay?
As compensation, 25j has got to be good, so it's a keeper.
IF
Irwin
GH Moderator

Skype Account: sirirwin
NAWCC #: 167882

New postby Neilywatch » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:31 pm

There are 17 jewels in the movement. The extra 8 jewels are in the Automatic section. In those days, jobbers had a choice of buying a "standard" movement (17J) or prestige grade - with a jeweled auto section. That's where the "Super" in the Superautomatic comes in.

All that does is make the selfwinding more efficient - good if you are semi-sedentary.

I don't know what they are asking for these on eBay - This to me is a $55-$75 (US dollars) watch. So still a good deal if it runs and keeps time, but may cost more than what its worth if you have to get it serviced.
Neil Wohl
Neilywatch

NAWCC #: 0122281

Return to Appraisal Desk