Columbus 16s Hunter

If you ask here, someone may tell you what they think of your timepiece, or one that you are interested in. All advice is free. Do not to base your trading or other financial decisions on information given in this forum. We do not accept responsibility for any loss that you may incur as an outcome of your taking advice here. If financial value is important to you, please consult a professional valuer or appraisal expert.
Forum rules
You may ask about the value of any item. However, if that item is in a live sale or auction the topic is likely to be closely moderated. Please post ONE ITEM per topic.

Columbus 16s Hunter

New postby cannon pinion » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:38 am

I ran across a Columbus 16s, in a Keystone GF full hunter case, movement serial number is 3255797. The movement is very clean, the balance swings OK, but it doesnt run, tho it sets. The case is mint and fairly ornate. The dial is perfect. They want 275 for it.
Am I correct that these watches have weird gear ratios and are hard to find parts for? What do people think of the price? Will post pics if I can get them from the owner.
Andrew Yale
cannon pinion

Re: Columbus 16s Hunter

New postby brownsrplm » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:08 pm

Andy,
Watch was made around 1898. Depending on how many jewels it has, it should run around $75-$150 in the condition it's in. Because you are not sure if anything is broke inside, I wouldn't pay more than low book. There is one exception to this and that is a 24J model that is very rare and brings $500 low book, however that is the only example I know of for a "high end" 16s Columbus. These should all be marked New Columbus Watch Company by the way.
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

New postby Neilywatch » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:33 pm

Andy - 16s YGF hunter cases are bringing in $200 - $250 in good condition on eBay. The movement to me is a $35- $50 movement. I think the asking price is in the ballpark. But if you get it for $200 you got a good deal.
Neil Wohl
Neilywatch

NAWCC #: 0122281

New postby brownsrplm » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:42 pm

Neil,
Are they really bringing that much? I don't pay that for them, then again I haven't bought but one in the past year for $135.
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby Neilywatch » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:36 am

if they are in good lightly used shape - I can't seem to get them for less than $200. Fortunately I only need 2 right now. They are still plentiful.
Raymund I try to buy them when they have Walthams in them already. This way I am not adding more screwmarks to the existing ones.
Neil Wohl
Neilywatch

NAWCC #: 0122281

New postby brownsrplm » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:46 pm

Smart move, the one I bought was an unusual maker and had 33 bids on it with me being the last bid. Case has a lion and warranty inside a scroll. I'd like to see the case on this Columbus, maybe it's a bit different and as you say, would be worth the effort!

Well, Andy it's up to you! Hope you can get some from the seller!!
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby MartyW » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:29 pm

Neilywatch wrote:if they are in good lightly used shape - I can't seem to get them for less than $200. Fortunately I only need 2 right now. They are still plentiful.
Raymund I try to buy them when they have Walthams in them already. This way I am not adding more screwmarks to the existing ones.

Not to steal the thunder of gold filled cases but just thought to show this 16 size coin silver case that houses a 7 jewel Hampden Champion that I felt real lucky to be able to snatch for just about $200.00. It appears that 16 size hunter cases that hardly show any wear or abuse, regardless of the metal, have become scarce & expensive.

A.JPG
Last edited by Glyn Meredith on Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Pic placed inline.
Marty Wagner
Klaatu Barada Nikto
MartyW

New postby Tom Huber » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:16 am

Andy, Columbus watches are a little different. Gear ratios are different. They come apart differently and go together a little differently. Tough to explain, but when you tear your first one down for a cleaning, you will see what I mean.

When you work on your first 18S fullplate Columbus, message me and I will give you a bunch of tips.

Tom
Tom Huber

NAWCC #: 083412

New postby cannon pinion » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:35 am

Yes, I read in Shugart about the gear ratios. And this is a full plate model. I'm going to be dickering for it over the weekend.
Andrew Yale
cannon pinion

Return to Appraisal Desk