New Haven Prescott

If you ask here, someone may tell you what they think of your timepiece, or one that you are interested in. All advice is free. Do not to base your trading or other financial decisions on information given in this forum. We do not accept responsibility for any loss that you may incur as an outcome of your taking advice here. If financial value is important to you, please consult a professional valuer or appraisal expert.
Forum rules
You may ask about the value of any item. However, if that item is in a live sale or auction the topic is likely to be closely moderated. Please post ONE ITEM per topic.

New Haven Prescott

New postby 4brokenow » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:06 pm

Hi Guys, Since there's a few Clocks being discussed, I figured I would post this..

This particular clock is at a local shop. I'm not a clock guy, but this one kinda caught my eye. A nice looking wood case with good lines. Great dial with what look to be original hands. Single Gong on the striking train appears to be working as it strikes the hour and the half hour. The movement won't run but a few ticks. She's wound up tight as can be. I can see the Escape wheel wobbling around so guessing a bushing or 2 will be required. I'm on the fence about going for it. What would be a fair price, being she needs some work and a good cleaning?

Neat to see the original label on the exterior of this one.

Amazingly for the hundreds of thousands of clocks New haven made I have found very little info on this particular model "Prescott".

IMG_1588.JPG

IMG_1590.JPG

IMG_15921.jpg
Phil Rickert
4brokenow

NAWCC #: 170509

Re: New Haven Prescott

New postby veritas » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:04 am

The clock overall looks in good shape. I dont know about your area, but in most places the market is terrible. Not good for sellers, but good for buyers.
If that clock was here i would not see it being worth over a 100 dollars, and thats on a good day. I see many American made 8 day clocks selling for well under a 100 dollars.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

New postby 4brokenow » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:03 am

Kevin,

If it was Keeping time; would it be worth much more then? Thanks.
Phil Rickert
4brokenow

New postby veritas » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:12 am

I sold a Sessions mantel clock i had overhauled, i could barely get 50 dollars for it. A good running clock will get some more but not much.
I paid 1300 for my Gustav Becker regulator and now i have seen them for well under 1000.
Kevin West
veritas

New postby Neilywatch » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:07 am

Sadly I think these are worth more as parts than as a clock. When I was selling off broken clocks I was getting $60 each for them and that was 4 years ago. Clocks are 60%-70% off their peak.
I am assuming you are looking for a project to keep once you fix it. Don't pay more than $60 for it.
Neil Wohl
Neilywatch

NAWCC #: 0122281

New postby 4brokenow » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:50 pm

Neil,

I liked the clock and had some delusions of grandeur stemming mostly from not really knowing about clocks. The seller just wanted a little more than what I thought it might be worth. I had it down from 150 to 80 out the door with cash. I was hesitant because it was a non-runner but was intrigued because of the overall look and the fact it looked to be mostly unmolested. I may check and see if it's still there in a couple-few weeks. Really, I could take it or leave it at this point after input from you and Kevin.

Thanks for the help from both of you.
Phil Rickert
4brokenow

New postby veritas » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:41 pm

If you can do the work your self its not too bad, but to pay someone to repair , it will cost much more than what it is worth.
Kevin West
veritas

New postby brownsrplm » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:04 am

My input as a mantle clock restorer for over 30 years, if you like it, buy it. I usually pay anywhere for $40-$175 for a non-working clock and then bring them back to their former glory. The one's I've sold range from $175-$850 the later being higher end Ansonia's or Seth Thomas clocks. Open escapement movements bring even more.
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

Return to Appraisal Desk