Diamantine

If you ask here, someone may tell you what they think of your timepiece, or one that you are interested in. All advice is free. Do not to base your trading or other financial decisions on information given in this forum. We do not accept responsibility for any loss that you may incur as an outcome of your taking advice here. If financial value is important to you, please consult a professional valuer or appraisal expert.
Forum rules
You may ask about the value of any item. However, if that item is in a live sale or auction the topic is likely to be closely moderated. Please post ONE ITEM per topic.

Re: Diamantine

New postby JerryT » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:17 am

According to the "Encyclopedia of Jewelry Information" published in the 1931 edition of the Keystone Jewelers' Index (reprinted by Roy Ehrhardt in his Trademarks book) "Diamantine is a chemical product in the form of minute crystals appearing as a white powder, used for polishing steel parts of watches and the finer grades of clocks. Diamantine is made by chemically precipitating crystals of the elemet boron. Most of the diamantine is made in Switzerland. It is sold in two grades: number 1 for grinding, and number 2 for polishing."
Jerry Treiman
NAWCC member since 1971
Charter member of Pocket Horology Chapter 174
JerryT

NAWCC #: 024657

New postby Marty101 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:34 am

Jerry,I appreciate that.
But this contradicts Neil's post about 4 grades of coarseness. Neil,were you using Bergeon's grading system? Extra fine,fine,medium,coarse?
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

New postby Marty101 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:51 am

I found this in a months old ebay ad. It describes my bottle exactly and offers evidence of at least three grades of "Eureka" Diamantine:

Eureka Switzerland Diamantine Watch Maker's Polish Lot 2 Bottles Antique Repair

This is a lot of two "Eureka" brand bottles of watch maker's / jeweler's polish compound. These antique bottles have paper labels that read, "Eureka Diamantine Qte-Sup. Made in Switzerland Pour Polir L'acier NO.1" and "NO 3"...note these are two different grits. These old time bottles have corks in the top. The bottles measure 2 3/8" tall x 3/4" x 3/4". The bottoms are embossed "10".

-Perhaps #3 is "Extra Fine"?
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

New postby Neilywatch » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:55 pm

To Marty - Yes I was using The Bergeon system.
Neil Wohl
Neilywatch

NAWCC #: 0122281

Previous

Return to Appraisal Desk