992 in base metal case.

If you ask here, someone may tell you what they think of your timepiece, or one that you are interested in. All advice is free. Do not to base your trading or other financial decisions on information given in this forum. We do not accept responsibility for any loss that you may incur as an outcome of your taking advice here. If financial value is important to you, please consult a professional valuer or appraisal expert.
Forum rules
You may ask about the value of any item. However, if that item is in a live sale or auction the topic is likely to be closely moderated. Please post ONE ITEM per topic.

992 in base metal case.

New postby Radar » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:04 pm

I found this Hamilton 992 online and thought that the price was reasonable. I'd like the experts to give their opinion on $195 for this 992.
I tried to xfer the pictures in but they will not enlarge so here is the web site.

http://www.rubylane.com/item/738154-PW1/Hamilton-992-Railroad-Grade-16

This Hamilton 992 watch was manufactured in 1919. The 992 was a 16 size railroad grade watch and highly respected among watch collectors. It is stem wound and lever set to prevent accidental changes to the time. This model has a 30 hour mainspring, 21 jewel movement, double roller, and adjusted to 5 positions for extreme accuracy. We have tested this watch before putting it up for sale and it runs smoothly and accurately. However, as with all vintage items, we cannot guarantee it will continue to operate indefinitely without proper service and maintenance.

This watch has a very nice double sunk porcelain dial accented by a thick beveled crystal that protects it well. The dial appears perfect with no scratches, cracks or chips. The hands are proper and original blued spade type, showing no signs of rust or wear.

The case is a proper base metal open face model that would have been used by a working man who invested his money in a fine watch movement, sparing little for the adornment of the case. The case shows honest wear with some dents on the back cover attesting to this status.

After more than 90 years of service this watch continues to show its quality. This fine example is offered below the average buying price listed in the 2010 guide.

Radar

Hamilton 992 Railroad Grade 16 Size Pocket Watch
Dennis Koch
Radar

Re: 992 in base metal case.

New postby veritas » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:42 pm

Hi Dennis i think that is not a bad price for such a watch.The only other thing i would add is if you did intend to wear it daily then it would need a clean and oil, which can be around 200 dollars or more.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

New postby MikeM » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:55 pm

Dennis,

The 992 is a great watch for beginning collectors, but I honestly believe that for that price, you could do better. I have seen plenty of nicer ones go for $200 or less lately.

On this one the dial and hands appear okay, but the base metal replacement case (which is probably at least 20 years newer than the movement) is in bad shape and adds nothing to the value of the movement. These short-pendant base metal cases were mostly sold as a cheap replacement for "grandpa's old watch" after most people were wearing wrist watches...or so I am told.

What bothers me more though, is that someone who very obviously didn't know what they were doing seems to have used sandpaper(!) or worse to try and remove rust spots from the winding wheel and pretty much ruined it, optically at least. One of the case screws also appears to be wrong. My guess is that it is larger than the original, so the threads are likely destroyed. There are also some nasty screwdriver marks in that area where they apparently slipped while trying to cram the (too big) screw in.

It seems obvious to me that someone with no talent or interest was at work here and that kind of thing scares me. Who knows what else you might find if you were able to have a look UNDER the hood?
Mike Meckley
MikeM

NAWCC #: 0169737

New postby veritas » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:02 pm

Good answer Mike, i did not look at that picture of the marks, pretty sad.I agree you could do better.
Kevin West
veritas

New postby Glyn Meredith » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:21 pm

Here is a pic of the movement:

992mov.jpg

For $195, I would keep looking, Dennis.
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby veritas » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:32 pm

One more thing i want to add, i paid about 140 dollars for just the movement, it was a good deal i felt and then put it in a case i had, it was a way to get a nice watch at a good price and i found a case for a loose movement, which always makes me happy.Dennis you might want to think of doing this, just a thought.
By the way there are many nice and reliable movements out there.
Kevin West
veritas

New postby Radar » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:39 pm

I will heed the advice and leave it alone. Thank you.

Radar
Dennis Koch
Radar

New postby Marty101 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:43 pm

Nice eye Mike-I didn't catch the sanded wheel right off.
Hey Kevin- that $200 price seems a little high to me,I wouldn't pay that much.... :o
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

New postby veritas » Fri May 29, 2015 4:21 pm

200 dollars is a high enough price to pay for a watch service. But if you dont know anyone , then you might have to pay this. My buddy gives me the best rates for work, like 60 dollars for a clean and oil and a balance staff replacement.
Kevin West
veritas

Return to Appraisal Desk