Waltham Grade A.W.Co.

If you ask here, someone may tell you what they think of your timepiece, or one that you are interested in. All advice is free. Do not to base your trading or other financial decisions on information given in this forum. We do not accept responsibility for any loss that you may incur as an outcome of your taking advice here. If financial value is important to you, please consult a professional valuer or appraisal expert.
Forum rules
You may ask about the value of any item. However, if that item is in a live sale or auction the topic is likely to be closely moderated. Please post ONE ITEM per topic.

Waltham Grade A.W.Co.

New postby skitimes » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:14 pm

photostudio_1477353212128.jpg
photostudio_1477353212128.jpg (39.48 KiB) Viewed 1446 times
Hi. I Aquired This Waltham Movement. Serial #10455830 Which PW Database Website Lists It As A Hunting Config. Mine Is Actually Open Face. PW Databae Gives A Pretty Hefty Value For Hunting Movement Of Which Only 4,000 Made. I Have A Case Coming For Mine With Swivel Lug At The Winder And Fixed Lug Making It What I Refer To As Early Wristlet. Check The Pics. I Have Serviced Her And She Runs Great. Value For Her. Thanks For Your Help MT

photostudio_1477353301485.jpg
photostudio_1477353301485.jpg (64.42 KiB) Viewed 1445 times
Michael Tyburski
skitimes

Re: Waltham Grade A.W.Co.

New postby Neilywatch » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:07 am

Mike -

Sorry to disappoint you. This is a hunting movt with the seconds pivot cut off and a plain dial with no seconds register, fitted to it. These are not rare and there is no demand for them, even if if they are still their original gold case.

The value of the movt is in the dial - which is difficult to find without issues. I say about $10 is the value of this movement.
Neil Wohl
Neilywatch

NAWCC #: 0122281

New postby HUB.HARMS » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:26 am

Hi
It is what it is,ser.no.says it is a 6/0 wal.hunter &It books high.
If it takes forth wheel,dial with sec. & case,to make it so I would
go for it.I would do some more checking,to make sure.I don't think
it would cost that much.Parts shoudn't be to much off a problem
Hub.
H. J. 'Hub' Harms
HUB.HARMS

NAWCC #: 0014982

New postby Neilywatch » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:12 am

OK -

Let me clarify -

This was actually modified BY the factory to be an Open Face watch even though it was manufactured AS a Hunter. For all we know it was a special order request to be sold as OF.

Secondly, which book is pricing this high? If you both are referring to the Price Guide - this book is considered by advanced collectors to be the biggest price of trash ever peddled to collectors - it is only good for someone starting out. I stopped buying them a long time ago.

I gave my opinion - and as a Waltham collector - this is my area of expertise. I would never volunteer a value of something I am not familiar with.

The dial is the most valuable part of this particular movement. Feel free to case it any way you like - the first rule of collecting is to enjoy your hobby!
Neil Wohl
Neilywatch

NAWCC #: 0122281

New postby skitimes » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:10 pm

Thanks For The Info.. I Think I'll Just Case Her To Be Worn. PW Database Had Her Valued Around $400. She Should Look Great In The Wadsworth Case Thats On Its Way. Will Post Her When Done. Good Stuff MT
Michael Tyburski
skitimes

New postby veritas » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:56 pm

Nice looking movement, but not 400 dollars. I bought one book when first started in the hobby, its not accurate for values as i found out later.

I found this and was surprised what they said on value, https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/search/ ... 5830/value
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

New postby Marty101 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:26 pm

Wow-not sure how those values are figured,or where you are getting them from! I suspect,after seeing Kevin's link,it's from the Pocket Watch Data Base...I don't know what is going on there. $400 is crazy...maybe it's some kind of ebay sales market average? Anyway-be careful...Neil is correct-maybe $10 or so for that movement.

Neil,as much as I sympathize and agree with your opinion on the "Complete Price Guide To Watches", it really is all we have sometimes to offer new guys when it comes to value. And as an intro to this hobby. I wish there was better! I preach caution,but try not to scare anyone away from it at the same time;you know what I mean? It does do a good job of helping people understand some basics in horology, as long as they understand it is a guide,not a Bible. Especially on value.
And you are certainly correct about having fun-we can't let scammers or the greedy ruin things...
Question and double check everything! Come to Global Horology and get the facts!

I think this topic Mike started is a decent example of how far off track prices can get. That is scary-$400. Maybe in a solid gold case! :lol:
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

New postby skitimes » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:50 am

I Posted This Movement Beause I Was Surprised At The Value PW Database Listed. Was Just Curious As To Why So High.
A Solid Gold Case Seems Appropriate. :lol: ...MT
Michael Tyburski
skitimes

Return to Appraisal Desk