French clocks.

French clocks.

New postby veritas » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:45 pm

French 1 (480 x 360).jpg
I am a sucker when it comes to French clocks. Today i bought 2 of them, the one i will post a picture of i think is the nicer one. Movement is not marked and it strikes on a gong, i thought it was odd.Sold by a jeweller in Toronto. It has a slate case and looks like mother of pearl inlays i think. Its running well now. Was way out of beat when i got it. I told my wife i am not buying duplicates of, i have a few but could not pass on the price it was a very sweet deal.
The other one i have complete, it needs a jewel replaced on the pallet, brocot escapement. Its a monster, slate case weighing 50 pounds and its a Japy Freres. I want to repair it and sell it. I think i could make a nice profit on it.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

Re: French clocks.

New postby cannon pinion » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:51 pm

Nice looking, I'm a sucker for mother of pearl inlay on anything. I started out on American mantel clocks before I was infected by watches.
I like that it's a Japy Freres - he was intense into watches, too. I have only seen a few French clocks - they all seemed to have a better level of finish and design than the clunkers they mass produced in Waterbury.
I especially liked one tall clock that had a rough handmade looking cabinet and a rope with a brass ring hanging out the side. The owner explained that you could pull the rope and it would chime the current time.
Andrew Yale
cannon pinion

New postby Neilywatch » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:50 am

They are not hard to service but tricky to adjust. As you know the Brocot is a deadbeat escapement and needs to be set up as such otherwise you will have issues. There are usually 2 small screws that work like banking screws. You need to to turn them once you repair the stone, and many times they are stuck and frozen. When you have it apart make sure they are free so you can make the final adjustment without throwing it across the room.

As far as making money? Good Luck - unless the cabinet is PERFECT - They are boat anchors.

How do I know all this? Like Andy - I got the bug for them for a little while, but realized they take too much room. I kept the 2 nicest ones and sold the rest to a clockmaker.
Neil Wohl
Neilywatch

NAWCC #: 0122281

New postby veritas » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:18 am

Thanks Neil i posted a picture of the one that needs the repair, i have found here French clocks hold their value.
Kevin West
veritas

New postby veritas » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:06 pm

I think as long as i break even its not a huge problem, make a few bucks would be nice. Both clocks are in great shape and i dont think it would be a huge problem to sell them locally.
The pins on the brocot i guess you are refering to the pallet jewels, yes they can be fixed and adjusted, all part of clock repair. I enjoy the hobby.
Kevin West
veritas

New postby Neilywatch » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:38 pm

No - there are actual banking pins that you can turn to adjust the depth the jewel locks into the esc wheel teeth.
Neil Wohl
Neilywatch

New postby veritas » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:50 pm

Neil this one does not have that. Different set up.
Kevin West
veritas

New postby veritas » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:22 am

I would be interested Neil if you have a picture of these banking pins, i have never seen them before on a brocot escapement.
Kevin West
veritas

New postby Neilywatch » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:42 pm

I dont have a picture - this was a while ago- before I got a smart phone!
Neil Wohl
Neilywatch

New postby veritas » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:27 pm

I have asked other people Neil and no one has seen what you have described.
I have Googled as well and can,t find anything like that either.
Kevin West
veritas

New postby Neilywatch » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:14 am

Unfortunately I can't back up my observation - maybe what I had was an oddball? I only had a few of these clocks~ maybe it was something else?
I vaguely recall having to constantly remove the dial to adjust it - and that's why I got so frustrated with that particular repair.
Neil Wohl
Neilywatch

Return to General Discussion About Clocks