Postal damage

If you don't know much about clocks, watches or something related to horology and need to ask a question, this forum is for you.
Forum rules
Posters who are new to horology, or who know nothing about something in particular, should post here without worrying that it's a 'stupid' question. There are no stupid questions here, and no stupid answers (hopefully). Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC and post ATTACHED PICS only, NOT IMAGE LINKS.

Postal damage

New postby Charlief7 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:00 pm

I have just received my latest purchase which was advertised as working intermitantly, it is an 1880s Swiss watch,I opened the back when I received it and could see immediately that the balance shaft is sheared, is the modern postal system to rough on watches like this is transit in the postal system likely to case this kind of damage,the watch was pretty well packed.
Andrew Foden
Charlief7

Re: Postal damage

New postby richiec » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:05 pm

I'll wager that the staff was already broken and cocked in the movement and shipping it finished it off.
Richard Cross
richiec

NAWCC #: 0168470

New postby Marty101 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:39 pm

That sounds real familiar to me. When I hear stuff like "working intermittently" or "starts and stops" I expect repair work is due.
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

New postby Glyn Meredith » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:07 pm

Charlief7 wrote:... advertised as working intermitantly ...

Andrew,

Ha ha. That's a convenient let out for the seller. It was working (one of those intermittent moments) when the seller sent it; he would probably swear to that ... but now it's not working (one of those other intermittent moments).
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby Charlief7 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:39 am

Yes the post is a good excuse,for a lot of problems,unless the item is tracked,things seem to have a habit of getting lost too.
Andrew Foden
Charlief7

Return to Newbie Questions - don't be afraid to ask