Spare parts for pocket watches

If you don't know much about clocks, watches or something related to horology and need to ask a question, this forum is for you.
Forum rules
Posters who are new to horology, or who know nothing about something in particular, should post here without worrying that it's a 'stupid' question. There are no stupid questions here, and no stupid answers (hopefully). Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC and post ATTACHED PICS only, NOT IMAGE LINKS.

Spare parts for pocket watches

New postby Charlief7 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:27 am

OK here,s a newbie question I have collected some watches from turn of the century 1900 mostly in silver and most seem to have Swiss movements. The question is how do I look for parts do I need exactly the same make and model of movement or is there interchangeability as a lot of the movements were made for more than one watch maker.
Andrew Foden
Charlief7

Re: Spare parts for pocket watches

New postby veritas » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:38 am

Good question Andrew, its usually not a easy task unless you have the calibre and other information to hunt for parts.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

New postby Marty101 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:06 pm

Charlie,I can only speak for American pocket watches-if you have any of those,you can certainly get parts or data on where to get them here. What do you have? Like Kevin suggested,giving the make and model,serial number of movement etc. is all important. Pictures say it all,and they are always best. Interchangeability didn't happen until later and was very limited anyway,so I wouldn't count on that. There are men who sell parts,and some supply houses left I think,and there is always scavenging old junker movements for parts.
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

New postby Charlief7 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:10 am

Here is a J.W Benson watch I have it runs , but a new dial would be good.Is another watch by the same maker likely to produce spares.This is also a test to post photo,s it has only taken about two hours to get this one posted.

image.jpeg
Last edited by Glyn Meredith on Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Pic placed inline. Please note for the future.
Andrew Foden
Charlief7

New postby Glyn Meredith » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:33 pm

Thanks for posting the pic, Andrew. Two hours is about right for a newbie. If you keep at it, you'll be posting pics in a flash!

Please could you post pics inline - it looks neater. Just place your cursor in the required place in your message and click the "Inline" box next to each pic that you have uploaded.
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

Return to Newbie Questions - don't be afraid to ask