Mainspring for Ingersoll s16 cheapier

If you don't know much about clocks, watches or something related to horology and need to ask a question, this forum is for you.
Forum rules
Posters who are new to horology, or who know nothing about something in particular, should post here without worrying that it's a 'stupid' question. There are no stupid questions here, and no stupid answers (hopefully). Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC and post ATTACHED PICS only, NOT IMAGE LINKS.

Mainspring for Ingersoll s16 cheapier

New postby bobpat » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:42 am

well, still haven't found a mainspring for my Ingersoll s16 cheapie watch, so I quess it goes in the junk pile.Had some good ideas, even had one guy say he was sending one, Never received it, oh well, it was a good gesture I suppose :(
Robert Patnaude
bobpat

Re: Mainspring for Ingersoll s16 cheapier

New postby Jdzwatches » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:33 am

Robert, I know you had wanted to give it a shot at fixing that dollar watch but I saw some 3/4 plate 16sz elgin in running condition just this evening on ebay for around $30 to $40 dollars. As another member had said and I agree also that buying one of these and completely servicing & working on it will learn you so much more because they were ment to be worked on and repaired where the dollar watches were ment to basically be thrown in the trash and just buy another watch when they broke.You could buy one for less than the gas would cost to drive to a repair shop to have it fixed.
'JD' - James Green
Jdzwatches

New postby 4brokenow » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:11 pm

I looked through my dollar watch pile and only seem to have Westclox. Interestingly I don't see the Ingersoll's at the antique shops much either but see Westclox all of the time. So either they made a whole bunch more Westclox or they lasted longer than the Ingersoll's so didn't make there way to the round file as much.

Either way sucks you have had trouble finding a donor..for your for your project. :(
Phil Rickert
4brokenow

NAWCC #: 170509

New postby bobpat » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:54 pm

Yeah. I know phil. watch isn't worth anything and I don't have to fix it, but I want to,, know what I mean? I had one guy on here said he was going to send me one last week or the week before, but he never di and I never heard from him, quess it made him feel better to say he would,, I dunno,, but i'll keep looking. .I'll just put it aside for now and move on
Robert Patnaude
bobpat

New postby cannon pinion » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:26 am

dude - the mainspring is in the mail - Andy
Andrew Yale
cannon pinion

New postby bobpat » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:11 am

I thought you forgot all about me Andy, Thanks for doing that, and I hope you did.nt take my post wrong,, I just figured you got busy and forgot.. THANK YOU I really appreciate it
Robert Patnaude
bobpat

New postby cannon pinion » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:41 am

According to the Post Office, you will have the mainspring this Saturday. Let me know if it works.
Andrew Yale
cannon pinion

Return to Newbie Questions - don't be afraid to ask