My ongoing "BAPTISM" into horology.

If you don't know much about clocks, watches or something related to horology and need to ask a question, this forum is for you.
Forum rules
Posters who are new to horology, or who know nothing about something in particular, should post here without worrying that it's a 'stupid' question. There are no stupid questions here, and no stupid answers (hopefully). Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC and post ATTACHED PICS only, NOT IMAGE LINKS.

My ongoing "BAPTISM" into horology.

New postby m1dsch0ol » Thu May 29, 2014 8:27 am

I have posted a few very short queries and after leaving this site, it's as if I were hit with a bolt of lighting and I either figured out my dilemma or coincidentally stumbled on to the answer immediately leaving the "G-H" site. I have three specific questions dumb as they are I'll post them here with-out any fear of the unknown, after all this ask a....! Okay 1: how do I post at the "wanted" forum, 2: I put my '72 Hermle 350...... movement back together and it ran for five whole minutes then she stopped. I then proceeded to "fiddle/tinker" with the bar that connects to silent/chime,(at back of movement) and then she worked for 40 min. . lastly I know that something is "NOT RIGHT"-STUCK ON THE STRIKE SIDE! I just do not have the knowledge of how the movement should go,(ESPECIALLY THE STRIKE OR SILENT SYNCHRONIZATION), at the end. PLEASE HELP. THANK ANY AND ALL OF YOU, YOU TRULY ARE A GREAT BUNCH OF INDIVIDUALS! :| (oops I forgot to shut off the caps.) . :|
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

Re: My ongoing "BAPTISM" into horology.

New postby brownsrplm » Thu May 29, 2014 4:26 pm

Arthur,
To post on the items wanted post just click on that post and you will see a button to post new topics. You will have to specify (short) what you want and then post your full description in the area provided below that. As for your 350, look for any slightly bent shafts. You can tell this by operating the strike function and watching the shafts closely from the side. If you see one moving up and down as it turns, that one is bent. Another factor with these is the butterfly could be rubbing a bit if it is not centered in it's proper position. Look at that as well.

Your movement should have a self-leveling arbor. This doesn't always work as intended. Check and see if you are getting even swing between left and right drawing a line for plum. Some will have a pivot dead center of the movement you can use as a reference point for that. If it is not even, you can move the hanger to it's extreme position either left or right (whichever is less) and push it slightly and the anchor should move as you do this. When you are close it should keep running on it's own. You may have to play with it a bit to get it right, but it works out eventually. Hope this helps...
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

New postby Glyn Meredith » Fri May 30, 2014 1:08 pm

brownsrplm wrote:Arthur,
To post on the items wanted post just click on that post and you will see a button to post new topics. You will have to specify (short) what you want and then post your full description in the area provided below that...

This only applies to GH Members - those users who are NAWCC members or who have their postal addresses verified by GH admin. Any user who becomes a regular poster at GH can ask me to verify their postal address.

This policy is in place to prevent fraud and provide some security for members who wish to trade here.
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby m1dsch0ol » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:57 am

thank you
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

New postby m1dsch0ol » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:37 am

Stopped by to to say I ordered my 6th book. It's "Striking Clocks" by Conover. I have dis-assembled and re-assembled this 1st movement 6 times. The pendulum goes back and forth for about 35 seconds or so and stops. It was "going pretty quick in increments 'till I re-adjusted the verge and I don't think it's quite right yet. I think I may need to adjust the verge,(again), and for the life of me I thought I had a grasp on the chime and strike situation :oops: . I'm not sure because I adjusted the strike hammers and the proceeded from 1/4 all the way to the 1 hour. AND BOY DID SHE SOUND BEAUTIFUL. But I don't think the hour chimes engaged because I could not see nor hear the music from the hour bangs/gongs. This is why I don't think I quite have the strike and chime quite right! I'm hoping that either the book or an older, wiser clock-maker will read my post and know exactly what I'm not doing in-correct and let a few ingredients out of the kitchen...... I have tightend all the nuts like car tires and not "overt-tight", I have polished every pivot, save the "great-wheel", I took chamois to every pivot-hole after I burnished each one,(they were all SLICK-SMOOTH and POCK-LESS),. All my pivots are straight and true ready to war tirelessly with Father Time. I have extra/spare springs in barrels. I have not changed the springs because I understand with every thing clean and burnished I don't need to much power. I have not filed needlessly. where oh where am I going astray? PLEASE HELP A NEWB !thank you
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

New postby veritas » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:53 am

Arthur maybe starting a new thread in clock repair would be best
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

New postby m1dsch0ol » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:29 am

thanx to all who have guided me , i'm off to ??? THANK U VERITAS.
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

New postby Glyn Meredith » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:03 am

Topic continued in the 'Clock Repairs - projects, techniques and tips' forum:

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=7552
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

Return to Newbie Questions - don't be afraid to ask