Mainspring search

If you don't know much about clocks, watches or something related to horology and need to ask a question, this forum is for you.
Forum rules
Posters who are new to horology, or who know nothing about something in particular, should post here without worrying that it's a 'stupid' question. There are no stupid questions here, and no stupid answers (hopefully). Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC and post ATTACHED PICS only, NOT IMAGE LINKS.

Mainspring search

New postby bobpat » Wed May 21, 2014 11:56 pm

Have an old Ingersoll s16 cheapie. but I am just determined enough and stubborn enough to get this baby running..old spring is like me, all worn out. Bestfit says its a T320-2..strenght is .23....width is 3.20,,,lenght is 21'' or maybe 21.50",,,,,barrel diameter is 11/16"...I've tried a lot of sites and nothing. closest one was ebay and that was way off. Thanks for any help
Robert Patnaude
bobpat

Re: Mainspring search

New postby Neilywatch » Thu May 22, 2014 3:20 am

Robert - I don't know what to tell you - but the reason you are having a hard time finding msps for that model is that it was probably cheaper to replace the watch than to fix it?
Neil Wohl
Neilywatch

NAWCC #: 0122281

New postby bobpat » Fri May 23, 2014 12:43 am

Well of course it is. I am just starting out and that aint very good advice. Should I go out and buy a $50 watch to learn on. Maybe I'll just give it up, yeah, I quit. No sense to work on dumb cheap watches. Thanks Neil, look for my tools on ebay, :lol:
Robert Patnaude
bobpat

New postby L48X55 » Fri May 23, 2014 2:51 am

Robert I think you took Neil wrong. These watches weren't made to be repaired. Yes, do go buy a $25 movement to learn how on. You will get way more benefit from something that you can actually repair. I'm an autodidact and I have probably spent $200 to $300, maybe more as I quit counting, on movements to learn from. Still not good but I know my way around and can make a few repairs.Tools I don't count cause somebody will buy them and you can't ruin them hopefully beyond repair.

You have a PM Robert.
Daniel Wysner
L48X55

NAWCC #: 176862

New postby Glyn Meredith » Fri May 23, 2014 3:27 pm

Reminder - an extract from the Message Board Guidance and Rules:

2.3.1 Posts that show disrespect for other posters and other members of the Global Horology Message board are not allowed. This message board has a wide, global membership and members must not be patronized or mocked for their lack of knowledge or for their personal opinions. The rule here is to reply to any ignorant, erroneous or contentious post with civility and tact.

The older I get, the shorter the reaction time of my delete finger in this respect. ;)

... civility and tact.
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby pocwatjim » Sat May 24, 2014 2:34 am

Glyn,
Why would you inject the Respect rule in this case and who is it directed at?

The only matter here is why bobpat took offence at HONEST advise.

Newbie's have to acknowledge experience and he has chosen not to. :(
Jim Haney
pocwatjim

Skype Account: pocwatjim
NAWCC #: 138323

New postby Glyn Meredith » Sat May 24, 2014 3:11 am

The topic is about searching for a mainspring. Unfortunately, a side issue is how members style their posts, which is why I posted a reminder about civility and tact. At the same time, I contacted two of our members on the back channel about that. I'm not prepared to discuss that further.

Let's get back to the topic, please.
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby Neilywatch » Sat May 24, 2014 6:53 pm

Robert-

Let me rephrase myself - Daniel actually clarified what I was trying to say to you about that watch. Many of the watch companies back in the day made the watch cheap enough that if it failed all you would have to do is buy another - for less money than it would cost to fix it. Therefore there was very little spare parts support for the model in question. Yes, you could order it if you wanted to, but personally I would rather pay less to buy a new watch? Which is what many people did. Add on 100+ years and you will have a very BIG challenge getting a replacement mainspring for your project.

I am only here to help - 19+ years of fixing watches and life's short, learn the easiest way possible! :)
Neil Wohl
Neilywatch

NAWCC #: 0122281

New postby Stephan » Tue May 27, 2014 7:13 am

Robert,

My experience has been that dollar watches and the cheap knockoff Swiss watches can often be a lot harder to repair than something from a better maker.
They can be difficult to take apart and often do not go back together easily.
The bits are just not that well made.
Given that you are starting out this may put you off rather than encourage you.

Not saying you should start on something flash but there are often low jewel count watches from the better companies that you will find a lot easier to work with.

Parts for anything will often be an issue as they just are not made any more.
I started out with a big box of junk/partial movements.
Learnt much and destroyed much but it was worth it.

Parts for cheap watches can be harder to find as they were never intended to be repaired as Neil has mentioned.
It's like looking for parts for a disposable lighter.
Again a box of junkers from Ebay may be the way to go.

Good luck with your project and above all have some fun with it.
Learning all the time.
Stephan Gaal

Proud Member of Global Horology and Chapter 149
Stephan

Skype Account: stephan.gaal

New postby cannon pinion » Wed May 28, 2014 1:51 am

Robert - I have spent a lot of time on dollar watches, and I concur with the post above. They are the devil to work with. What you learn on them will be limited in value, as it doesnt translate to watches built to be services. However, you will get good practice in patience and how to use tools.
That said, I don't see a photo of the watch in question. I have a lot of mainsprings in the barrel for dollar watches, and will be happy to send you one if I've got the right one...
cannon pinion

New postby bobpat » Wed May 28, 2014 2:52 am

Thanks, I will get you a picture. I know bestfits # is a T320-2 and a guy said he has used these in them >>>>>Pocket Watch Mainspring
For The 19'''
USA Dollar Pocket Watch, Smiths Empire, Ingersoll, Timex & Services
It has the regular end..and there is one on ebay/uk , but it would cost me $33. too much for that watch... I will post a picture.
I have been working on clocks for about 10 years, thought I would try watches ,so I picked up a couple of cheapies on ebay just to get the feel of them and not to waste money if I destroyed one.One above needs a mainspring and the Ingraham was just cleaned and adjusted, runs great., Again, thank you for your post, Its a cheap watch, but I am determined to get it going. I have a very nice Illinois that needs a mainspring but I want to practice on the dollar watch........THANKS :)
Robert Patnaude
bobpat

New postby L48X55 » Wed May 28, 2014 3:55 am

Robert I was just going thru my junk box and found 3 watches, I have a Fedella, Biltmore and a Westclox. I was going to wind all three to see if the MS were good and all 3 started to run. I had never payed any attention to these as they came in a box lot I bought for the Waltham parts.
Daniel Wysner
L48X55

NAWCC #: 176862

New postby 4brokenow » Wed May 28, 2014 12:33 pm

I cut my teeth on ladies watches and cheapos too. If you got the patience for cheapos and the little ladies movements you are in the right place.

I have a 7 jewel Robert Ingersoll partial movement. I believe it may have a good main spring. The Barrel has a raised center. Not sure if this is the same feature as yours. A pic of yours would help. The ratchet wheel is missing of mine so can't test it, but I'll disassemble the movement and check if you think we may have a match.
Phil Rickert
4brokenow

NAWCC #: 170509

New postby bobpat » Wed May 28, 2014 1:15 pm

i'am going to post a pic,, thanks. I just thought if I ruined a $10 watch it would be better than a $50 watch. And if I can repair a difficult dollar watch, than I should be all set with the easy ones..Like working on a old Ford compared to a Cadillac.ALOT of difference but the principle is the same.. Thanks for your post. I'll get a pic on here
Robert Patnaude
bobpat

New postby bobpat » Wed May 28, 2014 2:55 pm

heres a pic
Attachments
IMG_0342 (640x480).jpg
mainspring is regular end,,, tongue
Robert Patnaude
bobpat

Next

Return to Newbie Questions - don't be afraid to ask