Broken Main Spring

If you don't know much about clocks, watches or something related to horology and need to ask a question, this forum is for you.
Forum rules
Posters who are new to horology, or who know nothing about something in particular, should post here without worrying that it's a 'stupid' question. There are no stupid questions here, and no stupid answers (hopefully). Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC and post ATTACHED PICS only, NOT IMAGE LINKS.

Broken Main Spring

New postby MAB » Sat May 17, 2014 10:29 pm

Hi

This is my first post on Global Horology as I am quite new to the world of clocks.

I have recently got into clock repair and find it very fascinating. I have read a couple of books - Laurie Penman and Mick Watters which have given me the basics to start and dismantle a clock movement to see how it works. I have dismantled a Smiths striking clock movement and managed to get it back together and working again! I am now in the process of taking apart a Haller clock movement but come across a problem. On taking the main spring out of the barrel on the striking side I have found the spring to be broken about 8cm from where it attaches into the barrel. Is it possible to repair this or is it best to just buy a new spring? Is it just a case of drilling a new hole in the end of the spring?

Any information would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Martin
Martin Bevis
MAB

Re: Broken Main Spring

New postby richiec » Sun May 18, 2014 12:30 pm

Martin, buy a new spring if available. it is obvious that the old spring is brittle and will break again. Also, by shortening the spring, you increase its strength and timing may become an issue as well.
Richard Cross
richiec

NAWCC #: 0168470

New postby MAB » Mon May 19, 2014 6:58 am

Hi Richard

Thanks very much for this information. Yes it makes sense that if it has broken once it is more likely to break again. Will look into purchasing a new spring.

Martin
Martin Bevis
MAB

New postby brownsrplm » Mon May 19, 2014 11:29 am

Martin,
Try timesavers.com for your spring. You will have to measure it for the proper dimensions, but should be able to get what you need there.
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

New postby veritas » Mon May 19, 2014 5:59 pm

Shortening the spring by almost a foot might make it run a little less longer, it wont affect the timing. If it were me i would just replace it as Ray has said.
And there are no stupid questions so please ask anytime.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

New postby MAB » Tue May 20, 2014 7:04 am

Hi Ray

Thanks for this information - I will look them up.

Martin
Martin Bevis
MAB

New postby Glyn Meredith » Tue May 20, 2014 11:24 am

Welcome to GH, Martin. It's good to see you posting.
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby MAB » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:57 pm

Hi

Thanks very much for all your advice. Have now got the clock going again and it's ticking away quite nicely.

Martin
Martin Bevis
MAB

Return to Newbie Questions - don't be afraid to ask