Centennial Pocket Watch balance jewel issue

If you don't know much about clocks, watches or something related to horology and need to ask a question, this forum is for you.
Forum rules
Posters who are new to horology, or who know nothing about something in particular, should post here without worrying that it's a 'stupid' question. There are no stupid questions here, and no stupid answers (hopefully). Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC and post ATTACHED PICS only, NOT IMAGE LINKS.

Centennial Pocket Watch balance jewel issue

New postby cannon pinion » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:10 pm

cz.JPG
cc.JPG
c9.JPG
c7.JPG

Here are some photos of a Centennial movement that I bought primarily for the 16s display case. But the movement worked, after a fashion, gaining about an hour and a half a day. I researched it a bit on the net, apparently it is a mid grade Swiss movement, made late 19th century. No firm opinions exist as to who made it, many conjecture. It had some features I had not seen - screws holding the dial feet are on the inside of the movement, not on the side, stem is two piece with a screw holding it together.
Here's the question:I took the balance off for a start, tightened all the loose screws and pegged out the jewels top and bottom. When I tried to replace it, it would not upright, sitting at an angle. The pinions look OK, so I looked at the jewels again. I saw the bottom one was cracked, when I took off the screw down jewel holder, it fell to pieces.
I have another junker swiss movement that has a similar jewel setting, Will I be burned at the stake by watch purists if I switch it out to this movement on a try out to see if it works? I dont have jewels, pushers, cone millers, et al, yet. I'm just graduating to replacing balance staffs, so give me space.
Andrew Yale
cannon pinion

Re: Centennial Pocket Watch balance jewel issue

New postby L48X55 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:01 pm

Not At all in my book. There comes a point in time where you have to do the best you can to make a watch work. What ever it takes is my attitude. I'd rather have one running than 2 doing nothing.
Daniel Wysner
L48X55

NAWCC #: 176862

New postby richiec » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:47 pm

Andy, if you ever need parts for a Centennial, I have hundreds of parts. These watches were marketed by my great, great grandfather's company, Cross and Beguelin Jewelers, Maiden Lane, NYC from the late 1870's to about the mid 1890's. You will find with these that no matter how many of them you have, none of the parts seem to interchange as if they all began life at a different ebauche maker. I have about 8 working examples and 50 non-working ones usually due to the issue you have, broken jewels that press into the plate along with broken staffs, broken springs, etc. Most are 11 jewel movements of dubious timekeeping ability. Most are in nickel cases with a few in silver. They made a few chronographs and stop watches as well. If you can provide a picture I will look through my stuff and see if there is anything I can send you to help make it run again. Rich Cross.
Richard Cross
richiec

NAWCC #: 0168470

New postby cannon pinion » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:44 pm

Thanks, Richie. I saw your prior posts on the NWACC board about Centennial, along with your photos of all your Centennial watches. It was a very interesting story, far better than reality TV. As to the quality of this timepiece, all I can say is it is ODD> It's hard to do simple things like put the balance back on - just awkward somehow and I can't put a finger on why. Ditto removing and replacing the pallets - even thought they have their own little bridge to themselves, its tricky to make them go into place right. The whole watch feels just a little bit OFF...looks good, but nothing fits just right. Its sort of a left handed watch in a right handed world.
It's pretty low on my project list, but when I get to it, I'll take you up on your offer, unless I get it working with the spare parts I have from another no name Swiss junk movement.
Thanks,
Andy
Andrew Yale
cannon pinion

New postby richiec » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:07 am

OK, Andy, I have about 9 drawers of parts that you are welcome to go through to find what you need.
Richard Cross
richiec

NAWCC #: 0168470

Return to Newbie Questions - don't be afraid to ask