Tutone Hampden Model 440 repair questions

If you don't know much about clocks, watches or something related to horology and need to ask a question, this forum is for you.
Forum rules
Posters who are new to horology, or who know nothing about something in particular, should post here without worrying that it's a 'stupid' question. There are no stupid questions here, and no stupid answers (hopefully). Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC and post ATTACHED PICS only, NOT IMAGE LINKS.

Re: Tutone Hampden Model 440 repair questions

New postby cannon pinion » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:14 pm

This watch continues to puzzle me. I took the hour wheel off and put the dial back on, it does not stop. But when I changed the hour wheel and pinion to a spare set with same specs it still will not tell time, although movement runs.
Here;s the synopsis:
1) Movement runs nicely with good amplitude and flat balance, 90% of time.
2) Even when movement is running so, hands do not move, or move intermittently.
3) Hands not rubbing dial - tried with dial on and off.
4) Center or 4th wheel inside watch - the one which provides the arbor for the cannon pinion- moves regularly, as determined by index mark. But hands do not move.
5) tried 2 different sets of cannon pinion/hour hand combinations - same result.
My tentative conclusion - the issue must be between the properly functioning center wheel and the cannon pinion and hour hand.
Should I tighten the cannon pinion with a staking tool?
Is the arbor end busted off the gear under the plate?
Should I just take the whole thing completely to pieces and evaluate each component?
your suggestions will keep a good boy from going bad....A
Andrew Yale
cannon pinion

New postby brownsrplm » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:40 pm

Andrew,
My guess would be that the cannon pinion is not tight enough against the center pinion and is slipping. Another thought is the center wheel is not staked to the center pinion shaft for some reason. If your minute hand does not move, but the watch runs, I'd be looking at that.
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

New postby Marty101 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:15 pm

If you tighten you cannon pinion be gentle,it doesn't usually take much. If you get it too tight you'll will strain yourself setting the time. :lol:
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

New postby cannon pinion » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:00 pm

This watch is running well now and keeping good time - losing a couple of minutes a week. The issue was apparently in the hour wheel - I left the original cannon pinion on , but swapped to another Hampden hour wheel I had, and it's run well since.
I just got a no name salesman's display case for it and as soon as it arrives, i will post the finished - or almost finished, still needs stem, crown and bow - product.
Andrew Yale
cannon pinion

New postby Marty101 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:59 pm

Andy that's a happy ending. Please show her off later,OK?

Here's another happy ending that is close to home for both of us:
I remember you had an issue with a 16s/#109 "D"in Flag/M2 Hampden dial not fitting a while ago,correct?
I have a 16s/#104 NR in Flag/TT/M2/hunter and had the same trouble. it was maddening to have that 4th wheel post for the second hand come within 1/32" of lining up with the dial! I went through at least 4 dials before a one fit. I had the both dial variations; the large and the small center post hole sizes. I tried both and neither fit. The one that fit actually had the smaller dial center hole and a very slight difference in feet positioning. The difference is so slight I could be tempted to blame factory error. It was just enough,maybe 1/8", that filing the feet or such adjustment was impossible.
I also have the smaller hour/minute hand sizes-I remember yours were unusually huge,certainly 18s size.
:?: :!:
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

New postby cannon pinion » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:44 am

It's always an adventure. Great that you finally found a dial that fit. I feel a real satisfaction at getting these old things back into some sort of running order. I spent ten years getting a 1936 Servel Electrolux Gas refrigerator functioning properly. Talk about rare parts - but they were out there .
Did you post a pic of that watch somewhere?
Andrew Yale
cannon pinion

Previous

Return to Newbie Questions - don't be afraid to ask