Memories ...

Post here for general news and events about horological associations and societies.
Forum rules
General news and information of public interest is allowed here. No discussion of internal chapter or private business. If in doubt, consult the message board management before posting.

Re: Memories ...

New postby Dch48 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:22 pm

I belong to IHC 185. The one I never joined was NAWCC. The people there are very stuck up and dismissive of newcomers. I find 185 to be nice. I've read about the turmoil and I don't really care. I'm under the impression that 185 was in the right but, as I said, I don't care.
Donald C. Henderson
Dch48

New postby richiec » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:39 pm

Don, there are a few on the NAWCC board who can come across that way but for the most part, they are not. I guess you never tried to have a conversation on 149.
Richard Cross
richiec

NAWCC #: 0168470

New postby Marty101 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:10 am

Don,Rich is correct. The NAWCC board deserves another chance from you-and if you try comparing it, like Rich said,you might be surprised. It's always better to have more sources of data too.
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

New postby Neilywatch » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:16 pm

Why Richie - What's wrong with 149???? :D
Neil Wohl
Neilywatch

NAWCC #: 0122281

New postby richiec » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:57 pm

If I name names, someone will report me and he will have another tirade
Richard Cross
richiec

New postby brownsrplm » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:40 am

Starts with a J or G??? I left myself because of the same issues...
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

New postby veritas » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:35 pm

Jon Hanson. Cant say i am too fond of him either.
Lindell has many problems and he did not treat me very well. Along with a few others there. I have no dea why anyone would wish to be in that group.
I say try the NAWCC mb again, you need some thick skin sometimes with people.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

New postby JerryT » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:13 pm

This is for Don and others who were unaware of some critical IHC185 history. I will leave personalities and judgements out of this narrative.

185 began life in late 2002 as an official internet-based chapter of the National Association of Watch & Clock collectors. As with any NAWCC chapter, one had to be a member of the national organization first before becoming a member of the chapter. Also like the NAWCC main web site the public was free to access some of the assets while others were reserved for members. Chapter 185 offered a few features not available on the NAWCC site, such as the Pitfalls forum, and also was more social, thus emulating some of the feel of a physical land-based chapter.

I have been a member of the NAWCC since 1971 and have always been a strong supporter of the organization and its educational goals. I have been an active member of local southern California chapters and like the chapter concept. In early 2003 I joined the NAWCC Internet Horology Chapter (Chapter No.185) and was assigned member number 223. As you can see, within only a few months this new chapter had grown quite a bit.

I, and many other long-time NAWCC members and researchers gladly shared our knowledge on the board. We were anxious to share the fruits of our research with this chapter of the NAWCC. You can see some of the results of this in their “Open to the World Research Forums”. There you will see postings begun by Mike Chamelin, Terry Hall, Robert Sweet, myself, and many others from 2003 through 2006. (Some of them have since then seen their names modified or deleted by the moderators so that the true originator of the information is hidden -- look for the blank names). During all of these years, every page of the board carried a note at the bottom that the site content was copyright to “NAWCC Internet Horology Chapter 185”

However, within just that first year members began to notice that posts that they had made were being edited without their knowledge. Mostly these were innocuous corrections or efforts to keep the site “family friendly”. But gradually the editing and outright deletions were becoming more common and more invasive, with certain individuals singled out for censorship. Also frustrating to all, there was never any visible indication that a post had been edited or that the words on screen were no longer those of the original poster. If one dared to disagree with those in power he/she could be certain their post would be modified or deleted. Many knowledgeable members started to leave the chapter by 2006 and member discussion forums regarding problems with the chapter were even appearing in other venues where they could not be deleted by Chapter administrators. It got so bad in 2007 that many of us got in the habit of saving copies of Chapter 185 web page images so we could see just how much Lindell and his cohorts were changing what was posted.

In December 2007 change occurred rapidly. Member biographies and contact information, which had been open to chapter members, were “moved out of view” early that month by the board administrators. In response to questions about this, Dr. Debbie Irvine merely stated “There will be some reorganization of the site in the next few weeks and that decision will be reconsidered at that time” Little did we know how extensive that reorganization would be (but the copyright notice no longer mentioned NAWCC). Toward the end of the month, the chapter by-laws and chapter discussion forums, as well as any identification with NAWCC had also disappeared from the site. On December 27, 2007, Lindell Riddle announced that “The IHC 185 will no longer be affiliated with the NAWCC and our non-profit organization will be operated as an autonomous, fully independent group known as ‘IHC 185’ and ‘Internet Horology Club 185’ on this Discussion Site and elsewhere”. Lindell had just personally appropriated all of the assets (financial, intellectual and otherwise) of a chartered NAWCC chapter. Many of us immediately requested that the information we had shared with the NAWCC be removed from this now-private club site. Our requests were ignored and most of us lost any permissions to edit our posts. All member posts questioning this action were deleted and we were eventually even denied the right to post at all and our memberships were cancelled.

The above factual history has left many of us feeling very bitter. I have saved web pages and emails to document everything I have stated.
Jerry Treiman
NAWCC member since 1971
Charter member of Pocket Horology Chapter 174
JerryT

NAWCC #: 024657

New postby veritas » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:40 pm

Thanks Jerry for posting this, maybe some people will not join them because of the truth here.
Kevin West
veritas

New postby Glyn Meredith » Mon May 01, 2017 12:27 am

Hi, folks. A reminder: we have rules and guidance for this message board (on the GH Billboard forum). Please be guided by sections 2.2 and 2.3.

Thank you.
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby veritas » Mon May 01, 2017 12:35 am

Hi Glyn, i looked in FAQ but dont see those rules you mentioned, can you tell me where they are. Thanks.
Kevin West
veritas

New postby Dch48 » Mon May 01, 2017 2:47 am

Well as I said, that all happened before I came along and they have a different story. To me, it's all water under the bridge and I don't care at all. I will remain as a member of IHC 185. I have been treated very well there and I like the people. I will not join NAWCC. Mainly because their membership costs are outrageous.
Donald C. Henderson
Dch48

New postby Glyn Meredith » Tue May 02, 2017 3:40 pm

veritas wrote:Hi Glyn, i looked in FAQ but dont see those rules you mentioned, can you tell me where they are. Thanks.

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=1912
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby richiec » Wed May 03, 2017 1:24 am

Don, I guess you never priced out belonging to the Boy Scouts, uniform costs, manuals, blah, blah, blah, the British Horological societies are much more expensive than the NAWCC, Time Magazine costs like $54 per year with no other perks so the price is not as extravagant as you think. I will agree, belonging to message boards with no cost is way cheaper.
Richard Cross
richiec

New postby veritas » Wed May 03, 2017 6:49 am

I post a lot on the NAWCC mb but let my membership go. For a few reasons. One is the dollar in Canada is doing not great. Another reason is that something is only worth something if it gives you value. If you dont get the value then you would not pay. Richie you see the value. I on the other hand do not.
I dont think that is what Don is really talking about. Overall this thread has been very civil.
Kevin West
veritas

PreviousNext

Return to Horological Associations and Societies