NAWCC Site

Post here for general news and events about horological associations and societies.
Forum rules
General news and information of public interest is allowed here. No discussion of internal chapter or private business. If in doubt, consult the message board management before posting.

NAWCC Site

New postby John Arrowood » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:49 pm

Is anyone getting to the NAWCC board today? I know they were having problems with malware but were working on it. I got to the site yesterday and saw the offline message, but today TrendMicro tells me that the site is dangerous, could be the source of malware. I think there need to be some strong penalties for the people who hack sites and install viruses etc. It costs the victims many many dollars I'm sure and a slap on the wrist isn't sufficient punishment.
John Arrowood
John Arrowood

NAWCC #: 022912

Re: NAWCC Site

New postby richiec » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:13 pm

John, have tried multiple times, as of 1:13 PM EDT it was still down. Must have been something really bad to put it in a tailspin for this long.
Richard Cross
richiec

NAWCC #: 0168470

New postby cannon pinion » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:00 pm

I just tried to log on and Google stopped the connect with a malware message listing specific "Trojans" hosted on the site.
Hacker mentality is equivalent to that of a mildly retarded 14 year old sadist who puts razor blades in apples at Halloween. Why the totally innocent and harmless NAWCC ?
I'm going to kick in an extra donation once they are back up in recognition of the kind of challenges they face just to stay viable in the sick enviroment of the Internet.
Andrew Yale
cannon pinion

New postby MartyW » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:14 pm

I have spoken to one of the moderators of that site, who shall remain anonymous, and was told that the site could be fixed/repaired but that the NAWCC does not wish to pay for that service.

It appears that the guy they contacted does not want to do a 1 time fix and has asked for a contract to service that site and that the folks behind that site do not want to pay for that.

Now...........none of the above is 'gospel' so take it all with a grain of salt. Those are just things that were told to me, by someone who should know, and thought to pass it along.
Marty Wagner
Klaatu Barada Nikto
MartyW

New postby JerryT » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:15 pm

Well, the site seems to be back up now.
Jerry Treiman
NAWCC member since 1971
Charter member of Pocket Horology Chapter 174
JerryT

NAWCC #: 024657

New postby Neilywatch » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:14 am

Cheap is as cheap does. They will continue to have problems~ :evil:
Neil Wohl
Neilywatch

NAWCC #: 0122281

New postby brownsrplm » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:20 pm

I noticed a big banner claiming they were attacked by a virus and some things are still not up yet. I'm glad I'm fire-walled and have my own virus protection, a lesson learned a long time ago!
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

New postby veritas » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:28 pm

The site has been operational for at least two days now.
A few glitches i am sure they need to work out in the meantime.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

Return to Horological Associations and Societies