NAWCC Dues going up

Post here for general news and events about horological associations and societies.
Forum rules
General news and information of public interest is allowed here. No discussion of internal chapter or private business. If in doubt, consult the message board management before posting.

NAWCC Dues going up

New postby John Arrowood » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:10 pm

Looks like we're going to be paying $15 more a year if we remain members of the NAWCC. I just got an email with that information
John Arrowood
John Arrowood

NAWCC #: 022912

Re: NAWCC Dues going up

New postby Marty101 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:24 pm

Bye bye. :P
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

New postby veritas » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:38 am

I don,t understand why such a big increase in dues.I think this will have a very negative affect on the NAWCC.I do know one thing i am glad in a way to be a non member.At the way things are going in the NAWCC.
Enough of my ranting for now.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

New postby Marty101 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:47 am

I've lost faith in the NAWCC. I've only been a member to keep other doors open,but I'm not paying higher dues. :P
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

New postby veritas » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:18 am

I lost faith quite a while ago, not a member and have not been for about two years now. I thought about renewing lately but after asking a simple request and being turned down i am not renewing.
I think many of the membership are getting tired of the changes and also the fee increase.
Kevin West
veritas

New postby richiec » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:41 am

My renewal is in doubt. I am secretary of my local chapter and must be a member to remain, but as my paycheck goes down and everything goes up, a few things have to go. When an organization realizes that membership will go down and state that revenues will go up shows no long sighted vision. When membership dwindles the next year and the next, what will they do next? they will turn it into an exclusive club that only Warren Buffet can belong to.
Richard Cross
richiec

NAWCC #: 0168470

New postby Marty101 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:45 am

They are no longer even pretending to be acting on the members behalf.
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

New postby Bill Kapp » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:07 pm

If the NAWCC fails, we will all be worse off. If nothing else, it will be one less thing for so many to complain about :D :D :D

happy hunting
Bill Kapp

NAWCC #: 108150

New postby watchguy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:27 pm

I hope you all can keep an open mind and listen to my point of view.
I don't even remember how I found out about the NAWCC, I've only been a member since 2007. My interest in watches developed slowly and I knew I wanted to learn to repair them. I found out that I could attend the Introduction to Pocket Watch Repair field workshop at the 2008 National in Springfield, MO. That's where I serviced my first watch.
In 2011, I graduated from the 11 month Watch Repair and Restoration program, and spent another 2 months working in the service center.
While I don't agree with everything the NAWCC does, they did teach me my trade.
watchguy

NAWCC #: 0168246

New postby Mike Miller » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:31 pm

I have always viewed the NAWCC as a charatible organization. They maintain the museum collection, library and in doing so, promote the preservation of Horological history. Much like an art museum preserves works of beautiful art. Dues are just a "pledge" amount that is needed to keep things funded. Who else does what NAWCC does?

I can understand that some might feel that they don't get their money's worth form increases in annual dues. We all have to set priorities on which charities we fund. The NAWCC, like almost every charitable organization, is feeling the pinch. I just hope that enough folks can decide that the historical preservation that is at the root of the mission is worth the donation.

Having the NAWCC exist is worth an extra $15 a year to me.
Mike Miller
Mike Miller

NAWCC #: 0154831

New postby Marty101 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:45 pm

Isn't the aim of the NAWCC to promote horological education?
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

New postby trim » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:14 pm

Library and Museum are a fantastic resource, and if lost would be a disaster.

They will get my $.
trim

NAWCC #: 0173941

New postby Mike Miller » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:40 pm

Marty101 wrote:Isn't the aim of the NAWCC to promote horological education?

It is part of the mission. I think that education is still possible without offering a diploma program. Without certified, professional instructors, it will be harder, but not impossible. I wish it would have prospered, but for whatever reason (lack of demand, inadequate recruitment, whatever), it couldn't be pulled off and be sustainable.

The diploma program created highly trained, but very few, individuals. While the museum, library and field workshops reach a large number. I think that it's time for the BOD to make some tough decisions on how to refocus priorities. It's a shame that the staff has had to go so long without receiving any raises. Some have had wage reductions. Other positions have been eliminated. Sacrifice has been pushed to a point where keeping skilled profesionals will be tough. At least those we have elected into the BOD are attempting to find a way to keep the lights on. I wish it were different, but it ain't.

Anyone who appreciates clocks and watches benefits from NAWCCs existence, member or not. Remember, One reason a lot of us are here in GH is because someone decided that NAWCC wasn't necessary to preserve the integrity of Horological history. We know how that turned out.
Mike Miller
Mike Miller

NAWCC #: 0154831

New postby veritas » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:06 am

I have a bit of a different slant on being a member.For me it means very little, the only thing i miss is the archive of information which is nice to see at times.I have expressed different opinions about the NAWCC.I will gladly support a school, museum or other horological venue here in Canada.But in the U.S it does nothing for me.I still enjoy my hobby as much as before and still go to clock club activities.I am sure if the shoe was on the other foot many Americans would not wish to support a Canadian organization.
To me almost a 100 dollars is alot of money, my raises have been about 1 percent or less, i cut back in many areas of my life.
So unless i am listened to more and taken more seriously by the higher up people in the NAWCC, i will never be a member before.
I am glad for people who have taken courses through the school and suit case courses.To me it,s too much money and priced beyond the reach of most hobbyits.
If they want more people to join, they need to have to do a lot of thinking and listening to members now and past members.
Ok enough of my rant.
Kevin West
veritas

New postby Tom Huber » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:04 am

They will continue to get my support and my dues. The association is a great association. They provide great services.

With this I will give this story. In my hometown there was a great store that sold all kinds of gear for the running community. It was owned by very experienced athletes from the running community. They had taken courses on and were great for fitting the correct shoe for all kinds of athletes.

People would brag about going to this store, getting a correct fit for a shoe, and then ordering the shoes on-line to save a few bucks.

Needless to say, the next time, they went to the store for a great fitting, the store was no longer there. It had gone out of business because the people in the community did not support it.

The ones who had bragged most about using and abusing the fitting services were the ones who bitched the most about it closing.

The point is--if we don't support our association, it just might not be there in the future. Then who is to blame.

Tom
Tom Huber

NAWCC #: 083412

Next

Return to Horological Associations and Societies