NAWCC School of Horology Closes for Good This Month.

Post here for general news and events about horological associations and societies.
Forum rules
General news and information of public interest is allowed here. No discussion of internal chapter or private business. If in doubt, consult the message board management before posting.

NAWCC School of Horology Closes for Good This Month.

New postby John Johnson » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:02 pm

"Membership Announcement Concerning
the NAWCC School of Horology

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This letter provides an update for the membership on the current status of the NAWCC School of Horology. The NAWCC Board and staff have worked diligently to improve the School's staff, equipment, and facilities. A first-rate curriculum for the training of professional watchmakers and clockmakers in both modern and vintage repair was implemented. Unfortunately, the number of students enrolled in the School of Horology diploma programs continues to decline. A number of factors have influenced this: the economic downturn, high cost of tuition to maintain a low student-to-instructor ratio, lack of industry or government subsidies, low amount of financial aid available to technical school students, and the general lack of awareness that watchmaking and clockmaking are viable careers. We have seen several other horological schools, which were subsidized, close in the past three years. The School operating budget, which has averaged deficits of $75,000 a year, and has been subsidized by approximately $3 to $5 a year per member, does not have a reasonable outlook of improving over the next several years.

The School budget was trimmed to a barebones annual operating budget of about $300,000, which is viable with 12 full enrollments. The next term would begin in less than three months, and only six students have completed the application process. Several others applied and have since withdrawn for lack of finances. Although others would likely apply between now and July, undoubtedly a number of these will have insufficient resources to cover costs without more financial aid than is currently available. Because of these continuing uncertainties and the corresponding strain on our finances, the Board will introduce and vote on a motion in April to close the school as a full-time diploma-granting vocational school. We will continue with the assistance of our committees, volunteers and staff to expand short-term courses related to watchmaking, clockmaking and other horology related subjects.

We and many others feel great sadness that this endeavor, started in 1995, will not continue. As was outlined in a Watch and Clock Bulletin
article in the August 2010 issue, horological schools in the United States have declined from over 80 in the early 1950s to fewer than 10 today."
John Johnson
John Johnson

Skype Account: John E Johnson

Re: NAWCC School of Horology Closes for Good This Month.

New postby mars-red » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:00 pm

I was very sad to hear to hear this (as I'm sure many others were), it was my hope that one day I could attend this school. I just hope that someday when time and money permit, there will still be some options for me. Seems there have been a few of these schools closing lately.
mars-red

NAWCC #: 0174607

New postby Dch48 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:35 pm

If you look at what the tuition fees were, it's not surprising to me at all why enrollment wasn't happening. More than $50K for the full course and that's just too much. It's ridiculous IMO.
Donald C. Henderson
Dch48

New postby watchguy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:58 pm

While the school is closing, it will be open until the current school years ends at the end of May. One of the graduates will be coming to work with me in my shop. I am saddened to hear of it's closure.
watchguy

NAWCC #: 0168246

New postby veritas » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:46 am

It,s too bad this school is closing.I know there is only one such Horology school left in Canada.
I asked a few questions on the other web site and was ignored.I guess that,s how they are.
One question i asked did any one have a idea what instructors at this school got paid. Just wondered.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

New postby John Johnson » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:08 pm

Kevin,

They said they cut the operating budget to $300,000. I would assume this would be a good indicator that the instructors salary was reasonable.
John Johnson
John Johnson

Skype Account: John E Johnson

New postby watchguy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:16 pm

When I was there in 2010-2011, they had one full time watch repair instructor and one full time clock repair instructor. At the end of our school year, they let the watch repair instructor go because there just weren't enough students. The director, one of the recent graduates and another part-time instructor did the job of the instructor. I have no idea how much anyone was paid.
watchguy

New postby veritas » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:05 pm

A budget of 300 thousand and they can,t keep both instructors.Seems like they could with that kind of money.Either way too bad it happened, the school only ran since 1995 i heard.
Kevin West
veritas

New postby watchguy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:43 pm

mars-red wrote:I was very sad to hear to hear this (as I'm sure many others were), it was my hope that one day I could attend this school. I just hope that someday when time and money permit, there will still be some options for me. Seems there have been a few of these schools closing lately.

Don't give up your dream! There are still some good watch repair schools around. I've heard good things about Jem City and Paris Junior College.
watchguy

New postby veritas » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:54 pm

The Chicago Watch makers school had the correspondence repair course many years ago.I wonder why the NAWCC could not do the same, would cost some money to set up initialy but maybe cheaper to run after it,s set up.
Kevin West
veritas

New postby m1dsch0ol » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:27 am

I am new to all of this and I thought to myself if I am going to learn this wonderful art, craft, skill then I would most likely be self taught. I never in my wildest dreams would have thought it cost roughly $50k to go and learn this. I learned computers from take down to re-building on my own. Clock works is way more articulated. A good thing is I believe there are many willing to learn this field they just haven't realized the art. I do sincerely believe a "revival" as it were is coming. This bleed-out to "steam-punk" will stop and the hemorrhage of all these excellent movements will also stop. In fact I believe these PUNKS will become tomorrows' clock makers. I have faith that clock-making will be an exploding art once again.
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

New postby John Hubby » Mon May 12, 2014 3:59 pm

Wayne and all, the NAWCC is working to bring education online. Last year a series of "live" Webinars was held to learn about servicing Vienna regulator type clocks, this type of training will continue later this year on different topics.

The following is from this week's Executive Director newsletter:
Dear Members and Friends,
Katie our association educator and Kevin in information services have been busy working with two companies to get our online education up and working. Within the next several weeks, we should have the site up. The first programs available will be programs from last fall’s Ward Francillon Time Symposium on public time. Two instructional programs have each had a day of taping and are now in the editing process. One is a beginning clock course and the other is on watch batteries, bands, and bracelets.
Check the NAWCC Education page for more info on this program as it is developed.

We also have an active Field Suitcase Workshop program that holds classes organized by chapters around the U.S. and an ongoing workshop program at the School of Horology facilities in Columbia: http://www.nawcc.org/index.php/workshop ... p-schedule

Contact Katie Knaub at Columbia if you have any questions 717-684-826 ext. 237 or kknaub@nawcc.org
John Hubby

NAWCC #: 077889

New postby veritas » Sat May 17, 2014 5:23 pm

Someone told me they still had weekend watch repair classes at the school.
Kevin West
veritas

New postby Stephan » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:11 am

I think the school went a step too far.
They should have stuck closer to catering for the needs of collectors rather that trying to go the full monty with a fully recognised course run in house.

A robust assessment regime where a student gets his training wherever in order to satisfy a stringent set of requirements may also have worked
but at the end of the day it comes down to the cost of the qualification and what good it does you.

How well was the qualification recognised by potential employers ????????????

My friend took himself to Switzerland for 12 years to learn his craft.
Learning all the time.
Stephan Gaal

Proud Member of Global Horology and Chapter 149
Stephan

Skype Account: stephan.gaal

New postby Neilywatch » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:26 am

Having a full fledged school makes them eligible for State money here, Stephan. Remember, always follow the money trail.
Neil Wohl
Neilywatch

NAWCC #: 0122281

Next

Return to Horological Associations and Societies