NAWCC Poll?

Post here for general news and events about horological associations and societies.
Forum rules
General news and information of public interest is allowed here. No discussion of internal chapter or private business. If in doubt, consult the message board management before posting.

Re: NAWCC Poll?

New postby 4brokenow » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:28 am

I like Global just the way it is. I got the poll and haven't responded yet. I believe anything that could be accomplished on an internet chapter could be accomplished here without the association to the NAWCC. Friendly and Free is a very nice thing. The NAWCC is the NAWCC and Global is Global. This board is a great place to post.
Phil Rickert
4brokenow

NAWCC #: 170509

New postby veritas » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:32 am

Kate Beckinsale?? ;) ;)
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

New postby bratdaddy » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:20 am

Underworld, among others, including White Out. Stalk big or stay home.
H. "Mike" Penson
bratdaddy

NAWCC #: 0168775

New postby richiec » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:14 pm

Mike, would love to see the letters if there is no big legal hassle in posting them. Maybe I am ignorant or do not pay attention to who is who in the NAWCC, but who is Kate?
Richard Cross
richiec

NAWCC #: 0168470

New postby rrpktwtchr » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:30 pm

GOOGLE Search . . .
Timely regards,
Jim McKinney
rrpktwtchr

NAWCC #: 160287

New postby Glyn Meredith » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:59 am

Anyone can Google-search, Jim. I think they want the story straight from the horse's mouth ... :D
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby John Johnson » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:32 am

It's fantastic to see so much support of our upcoming 3rd anniversary. I will be there to join in the celebration, and a heartfelt thank you to all of you who have helped and supported us along the way.
John Johnson
John Johnson

Skype Account: John E Johnson

New postby John Moane » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:17 pm

i'LL TAKE IT ON MYSELF TO SHOW THE OTHER MEMEBERS THE QUESTIONS THAT WERE ASKED.

Global Horology Chapter #192 Member Survey
There are some error(s). Please see each marked section below.

As a listed member of "Global Horology Chapter #192," we ask that you take a brief survey to determine the viability of future NAWCC activity within that chapter.

Do you still consider yourself a member of Global Horology Chapter #192?

Yes

No

Do you feel that Global Horology Chapter #192 should be discontinued?

Yes

No

Would you continue to interact with Global Horology Chapter #192 if a suitable internet resource was created to host its activities?

Yes

No

It has been suggested that recent NAWCC expansions to our collective internet presence (community software, free chapter website hosting, website expansions, new auction/classified site, etc.) have rendered the concept of a dedicated "internet-only" chapter unnecessary, since the whole association is now online. Do you agree or disagree?

Agree

Disagree

Do you think that Global Horology Chapter #192 should be re-activated, or permanently decommissioned?

Reactivat
Permanently decommissioned

If Global Horology Chapter #192 is reactivated, would you be willing to serve as a Chapter Officer?

Yes

No
John Moane

Skype Account: John Moane
NAWCC #: 0163808

New postby Stephan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:45 pm

Since WE are still here and interacting with each other just fine I would have thought the answers to questions 1 through 4 are obvious.

But where is the question that asks " Would you pay $80 a year to join an internet only chapter"

I guess in their heart of hearts they already know the answer to that one as well.
Learning all the time.
Stephan Gaal

Proud Member of Global Horology and Chapter 149
Stephan

Skype Account: stephan.gaal

New postby Bill Kapp » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:52 pm

Stephan,

Wouldn't the poll only be going to people who already pay the $80 NAWCC dues?

regards,

Bill
Bill Kapp

NAWCC #: 108150

New postby veritas » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:16 pm

Not sure Bill i did not receive it.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

New postby Stephan » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:55 pm

I suspect you are correct Bill but then you have to ask -

If you are already a NAWCC member and have full access to the main board and the community centre and various other NAWCC chapter boards like 149 for example (I know you have to join separately and there are a number of others) why would you want to get involved in yet another NAWCC member only site which is basically what a chapter is.

It serves no purpose. There is no longer anything for it to do.

Existing members will not support it as it is not needed and new players will not pay full membership just to use it and nothing else.
History has proved this.

Had the NAWCC been willing to create a new level of membership to cater for INTERNET only members at say $10 a year it might have got support
and been able to sell itself as a Chapter for O/S members and others remote from normal chapter facilities but such people can't be expected to
pay for stuff they can never use.
It may also have been able to sell itself as a sort of introduction to the hobby but now that the main board has been opened up to the GP that idea is also redundant.

Without a reason to exist 192 is redundant and the only question they needed to ask is.

Should the Chapter 192 Charter be withdrawn. Yes/No

I think we all know the answer to that one.
Learning all the time.
Stephan Gaal

Stephan

New postby Bill Kapp » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:02 am

Stephan,

The main reason for 192's existence was as a replacement or substitute for another venue. I don't think it was ever meant to be a substitute for the NAWCC.

NAWCC does not discuss ongoing auctions or values, something we do in chapters (land based or otherwise).

With the advent of EBAY,the chapter marts, regionals, online marts etc have taken a hard hit. However , I sense a growing disaffection with ebay on many sellers part, and hope that we will see a resurgence of chapter and regional marts. Touching and feeling has its benefits, but I did love the way the intenet brought a lot of stuff out of the closets!

I don't think we want to be bitter or resentful of the NAWCC, or any other venue. Its all about collecting and learning and I have always believed and supported all efforts that help educate the collector and advance the hobby.

Those that don't want to pay the dues can still get a lot of info on the green board, just as a lot of info is available here on GH. If the NAWCC were to fail, we would all be the poorer by its loss.

Actually, I like the way GH seperates the threads by manufacturers and find it easier to follow than searching threads by keyword on the Greenboard. Fred did try to group some key items together in the pocket watch threads but I don't believe there was any follow thru and it is more likely that subjects keep cropping up as new threads instead of continuations.

regards to all and have a great holliday season,
Bill Kapp

NAWCC #: 108150

New postby Glyn Meredith » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:45 am

Bill Kapp wrote:Stephan,

The main reason for 192's existence was as a replacement or substitute for another venue. ...

Not quite correct, Bill. The GH message board was in operation some months before Chapter 192 was born. Before I applied for the charter for Chapter 192, some of us seriously debated whether a new chapter was needed and whether it would flourish. Some NAWCC members were insistent that we should go ahead with setting up the chapter, so I put in the work to do that.

The effort required to lead and manage an active chapter did not materialize and after a while, it became apparent that the chapter was redundant. I don't regret the time and effort spent on it, and to have not set up Chapter 192 would probably have upset too many NAWCC members who were set on the idea.

Despite the Chapter being dormant for quite some while, the GH message board continues to appeal to NAWCC members and non-members alike. It's friendly and free and significantly different from the NAWCC message board in policy and management. And that's how some folks like it. Everyone who wants to contribute to our on-line community is welcome here, whether they are members of other horological associations or not.
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby Stephan » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:13 am

I don't think we want to be bitter or resentful of the NAWCC, or any other venue. Its all about collecting and learning and I have always believed and supported all efforts that help educate the collector and advance the hobby.

The only feelings I have on the matter are sadness that the NAWCC never fully realised the potential.
If you are already a NAWCC member chances are you belong to a chapter somewhere and can already do all those things you mentioned.
My interest was always in doing something for those who can not attend a regular chapter due to distance or whatever.
If your nearest Chapter is 500 miles away or if you are not mobile attending meetings is not easy.
An internet chapter would have been usefull to give such people a home.
But I won't go on.

Getting back to the poll the point is that there is no reason for 192 to continue.
There is nothing for it to do with the main board now opened up so why would anyone join.
Learning all the time.
Stephan Gaal

Stephan

PreviousNext

Return to Horological Associations and Societies