Wrist Watch Crystal Cabinets

Post here, if you can't find a specific forum for your watch discussion.
Forum rules
Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC and post ATTACHED PICS only, NOT IMAGE LINKS.

Wrist Watch Crystal Cabinets

New postby Pete Cronos » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:16 am

A person near me is trying to sell me several of the old cabinets of wrist watch crystals. Are there interest in these anymore?
Any comments welcome.
Pete Cronos

NAWCC #: 052692

Re: Wrist Watch Crystal Cabinets

New postby MartyW » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:29 pm

Pete:

It all depends on what they are and how much repair work you do.

About a year ago I bought a 19 drawer metal cabinet that was completely full of crystals, literally thousands of them. I thought that I had hit a bonanza but all I ended up with was problems, and ended up selling the majority of them on eBay for a penny each. I finally sold the cabinet to get back most of my money.

I did pull out all of the 18 & 16 size crystals but soon found out that fitting crystals is a task in order to find the right one, especially when you get to hunter cases, and there is hardly any demand for old wrist watch crystals anymore.

If you are experienced, and the price is 'very right' I would say to go for it.....otherwise don't let the huge amount cloud your senses. If you look on eBay you will see dozens of sellers peddling these, most never sell.

Of course, you can always us the cabinet for tools & other miscellaneous things.
Marty Wagner
Klaatu Barada Nikto
MartyW

New postby Neilywatch » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:13 pm

Ditto -

I have 11 of them. Most of the watches that these crystals fit to no longer exist or are being worn. I know many people buying the cabinets and throwing away the crystals. And using the cabinets for storage.

There are certain types of crystals that still have some use but usually the popular sizes are used up already.

The floor model cabinets are worth $35 - $50 each. The crystals - whatever. IF they are starting to turn in color they useless - throw them out! The benchtop cabinets are worth less. Any idea what brand of crystal/cabinets these are?
Neil Wohl
Neilywatch

NAWCC #: 0122281

New postby MartyW » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:35 pm

My local jewelry store was established in 1865 but has changed hands (no pun intended) several times since then. During these changes in ownership most of the supplies were either lost or thrown away but the only thing that remains from the old store are tens of thousands of crystals in their original cabinets, possibly a few hundred thousand.

The watch repair at this store consists these days of changing a battery or adjusting a watchband. However, the present owner will do a crystal for me whenever I need one, and has not failed to find the exact size & fit for me even for small hunter cases.

He enjoys doing that type of work since he is also a part time collector, and has told me on many visits that I am the only crystal customer he has had for the past 25 years or so.

Expanding on what Neil has already said 95% of all of these crystals are for watches that have been obsolete for decades, and most of those are no longer extant.........gone the way of high button shoes, five cent beer and land-line phones.
Marty Wagner
Klaatu Barada Nikto
MartyW

New postby Glyn Meredith » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:34 pm

And then I wonder what will happen to that massive collection of watch crystals when the current owner passes the baton ...
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby Neilywatch » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:01 pm

Glyn -

I wouldn't worry - someone will buy it thinking they found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow! :roll:
Neil Wohl
Neilywatch

NAWCC #: 0122281

Return to Watches - general discussion