Bumper vs. Rotor

Post here, if you can't find a specific forum for your watch discussion.
Forum rules
Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC and post ATTACHED PICS only, NOT IMAGE LINKS.

Bumper vs. Rotor

New postby Thawkins » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:47 am

I have a seventies era Girard Perragaux that is a bumper movement. Why not a rotor type automatic movement. Seems there wold less shock and wear with a rotor than with a bumper. It is a good time keeper.
Thomas N. Hawkins
Thawkins

Re: Bumper vs. Rotor

New postby 4thdimension » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:54 am

Hi, I am surprised GP offered a bumper in the 70's. A good company using obsolete technology doesn't add up for me. I thought the last vestiges of the bumpers expired in the late 1950's. Their heyday was certainly the 30's into the 40's. It would be great if you could post a picture so we could see what movement we're talking about. I will go out on a limb and guess your watch is a bit older than you think. -Cort
Cort Moore
4thdimension

NAWCC #: 094512

New postby Thawkins » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:13 pm

It is marked "Gyromatic", has a ten carat gold filled case and was a 25th anniversary award to my dad in 1978. I was under the impession that all gyromatic watches were bumpers. If I gently shake it, I can hear and feel something bumping but no ratational noise. Not sure how to post pictures to this site.
Thomas N. Hawkins
Thawkins

New postby Glyn Meredith » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:23 pm

For posting images, please see this topic, Thomas:

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=315

If you are not sure after that, please post your pics to me. E-mail is the envelope on the RHS of this post. --->
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby 4thdimension » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:27 pm

I will stand by my earlier response that gyromatics are full rotation autowinds. My confidence is bolstered after checking some of them on ebay. If I am correct you may want to have your watch looked at for an explanation of the bumpy noises you're hearing. Looking forward to pictures.
-Cort
Cort Moore
4thdimension

NAWCC #: 094512

Return to Watches - general discussion