Howard Clock Co Customer index question

For horological research topics e.g. particular timepieces or companies, collecting serial number information, pictures of timepieces from a particular maker, or certain types of timepiece or time-keeping system.
Forum rules
Please post only original research questions, answers or results here. For general collector-oriented display or discussion posts, please use the other specific horological forums.

Howard Clock Co Customer index question

New postby 4brokenow » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:37 pm

I'm doing some research on a Howard clock and was looking through the customer index scans on the NAWCC website. Does anyone have any idea what the numbers next to the customer name mean?

Other questions; The clock I am researching has some proof that has it being made around 1915. How come there are no records later than the late 1800's for clocks other than tower clocks or industrial Time clocks? Does anyone know?

Also, Is it typical that the Movement would NOT have a serial number?

Attached is a sample of a few entry's from the index. Any help or opinions are welcome.

Thanks in advance

Howard index.jpg
Phil Rickert
4brokenow

NAWCC #: 170509

Re: Howard Clock Co Customer index question

New postby brownsrplm » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:32 am

Phil,

The number next to the company (or individual) who bought the clock could possibly be the day bought and the serial/line number of that clock. As for dates and serial numbers on clock movements, most of them just had patent dates on them, but on rare occasions you may find one in an obscure place on the movement I.E.. the back side of one of the plates etc... Most clocks are dated by the model of clock and would be in a range of several years of production. Frustrating I know, but the occurrence of someone documenting the date they bought a clock and then having that still intact along with it, is very rare.
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

Re: Howard Clock Co Customer index question

New postby 4brokenow » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:14 am

Yeah, frustrating is right. The first number can't be day/month/Year/Week) though because that number seems to always be less than 40 and always greater than 10 throughout the Index. I can find no rhyme nor reason in the second number.

This particular clock has an 11-1/2 movement in it..? whatever that means.

Here is another snap-shot. I'm starting to get a sinking feeling in my gut those numbers only have to do with how the names of customers were organized well after-the-fact for entry into the customer index. How else would two separate customers have sequential numbers..

Again any help appreciated.

Howard index.2jpg.jpg
Phil Rickert
4brokenow

NAWCC #: 170509

Return to Research Forum