Niagara Watch Co.

For horological research topics e.g. particular timepieces or companies, collecting serial number information, pictures of timepieces from a particular maker, or certain types of timepiece or time-keeping system.
Forum rules
Please post only original research questions, answers or results here. For general collector-oriented display or discussion posts, please use the other specific horological forums.

Niagara Watch Co.

New postby LouisC » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:07 pm

I have been searching for a month for information on the Niagara Watch Company to no avail. Any info would be greatly appreciated,
Jerry L. Sabo
LouisC

Re: Niagara Watch Co.

New postby 4brokenow » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:48 pm

Jerry,

Do you have a particular piece that has this engraved/stamped on it? Pictures would be good. I'm thinking this may be a Swiss watch with something American sounding stamped on it? This was a marketing ploy to make the Swiss watch seem American. I may be in left field so i apoligize if I'm missing the point of your genral question. It would be similar to Swiss watch labeled as "Michigan Watch Co" as an example. Many lady's and some men's watches were labeled in this manner.

Phil
Phil Rickert
4brokenow

NAWCC #: 170509

New postby 4thdimension » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:52 pm

Kathleen Pritchard's book "Swiss Timepiece Makers 1775-1975" lists Niagara as a trademark of Schwob Freres in La Chaux de Fonds, Switzerland in 1886 and 1892. This company also included Tavannes who had split off by 1966 and took the Niagara trademark with them.
-Cort
Cort Moore
4thdimension

NAWCC #: 094512

New postby Glyn Meredith » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:36 pm

LouisC wrote:I have been searching for a month for information on the Niagara Watch Company to no avail. Any info would be greatly appreciated,

Welcome to GH, Jerry. It's good to see you posting.

I hope you find the information you're looking for. We can't always guarantee to give comprehensive answers but there's always somebody here willing to help out.

Photos would be useful.
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby Stephan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:21 am

Learning all the time.
Stephan Gaal

Proud Member of Global Horology and Chapter 149
Stephan

Skype Account: stephan.gaal

New postby LouisC » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:50 pm

4brokenow wrote:Jerry,
Do you have a particular piece that has this engraved/stamped on it? Pictures would be good. I'm thinking this may be a Swiss watch with something American sounding stamped on it? This was a marketing ploy to make the Swiss watch seem American. I may be in left field so i apoligize if I'm missing the point of your genral question. It would be similar to Swiss watch labeled as "Michigan Watch Co" as an example. Many lady's and some men's watches were labeled in this manner.

Phil

As soon as I figure how to post picture I will add. This is a ladies wrist watch with 12 .015ct. diamonds on the case and 26 semi faceted emeralds. The band is 14 kt gold with a safety chain. The case is inscribed "La France" which I have tracked down as a small co. that makes medallions,it is .900 platinum and .100 iridium. Inner mechanisim has stamped "Niagara Watch co. and immediately to the left it has stamped "swiss" Also stamped is "seventeen 17 jewels" plus the normal adjustment parameters stamped. I believe you are correct in your original asessment of this seeming to be American. Thank you for your assistance.
Jerry L. Sabo
LouisC

Return to Research Forum