GF Cases For Scrap

Links to active on-line auctions or sales go here (not your own sales). Please read the forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
Links to active on-line auctions or sales go here (not your own sales). If an item appears to be misrepresented, please do not rush to judgment and disparage sellers or items, but try to offer constructive advice to help buyers and sellers alike. Any discussion which turns into a witch-hunt or might alter the outcome of an auction or sale unreasonably to the detriment of buyers or sellers will be closely moderated.

GF Cases For Scrap

New postby Marty101 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:32 pm

s-l1600.jpg
Here's an Ebay Item number friends: #252726149320

It will take you to an ad going for $865 and climbing for worn out GF cases. Seems insane to me,unless there is something I don't know-which is possible. I don't scrap...just how much gold IS on these old cases,anyway?
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

Re: GF Cases For Scrap

New postby brownsrplm » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:17 pm

Marty,
This is something you see all the time on eBay. Sellers will even weigh a watch whole to give you a big number trying to sell by weight. Of course to be honest you would have to remove the movement, stem, crystal, and the springs in the case just to get down to the actual metal that has any gold in it. As far as gold content goes, I think most who buy these take a chance on how much actual gold is left in them... My opinion on how much gold is left in them; not much!!!
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

New postby Marty101 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:21 pm

I have to agree. It must be profitable for some. I was hoping to get approximate values;for instance what's the gold content/money value of a particular weight/size/karat GF case. I'd like to understand more behind this.
I don't believe the average Joe can cash in on a pile of GF cases;none of the jewelry etc. stores here want to be bothered with gold filled items. Maybe heavy gold plate,but that's about it.
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

New postby Neilywatch » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:30 pm

12scases.jpg
12scases.jpg (39.89 KiB) Viewed 663 times
The average 20-25 year GF case in decent shape has 5% gold. Ones that are worn or with less rating are 3%. at $1,200 OZ that can mean about $40 - $80 per case - assuming they are completely stripped of metal and glass.

Unfortunately - this is often a better route to go when selling off cases, when the cases have issues. I have a over 2 pounds worth of 12s and under GF cases that all have issues. I plan to strip them and sell them as GF rather than as cases. The 16s and up Are still worth more as cases.
Neil Wohl
Neilywatch

NAWCC #: 0122281

New postby Marty101 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:30 am

Thanks Neil-that really puts it in perspective for me. It's easy enough to see the practicality here.
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

New postby Tom Huber » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:35 pm

Good luck. I have worked with a number of gold dealers over the years to save gold watches and purchase GF ones. these dealers tell me that they won't even do anything with GF cases. Most all of the refineries don't want to deal with GF cases unless you at talking a 500# or 1,000# lot of cases.

Maybe there are some that will buy mall amounts, but-------

Tom
Tom Huber

NAWCC #: 083412

New postby Stephan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:40 pm

I think there are a lot of backyard players looking for something to melt.
Not sure how they separate the gold but there is a lot of furnaces and related equipment available on ebay so someone must be buying the stuff.
Beginners will likely not be that fussy about what they melt and not experienced enough to know it won't pay.

They make it sound so easy :? - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Heavy-Duty-P ... SwKtlWkE9p
Learning all the time.
Stephan Gaal

Proud Member of Global Horology and Chapter 149
Stephan

Skype Account: stephan.gaal

New postby Stephan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:53 am

Found this on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WniIGwMSUC8

As the wise man said - You never know what is going on in the neighbors shed.

I doubt he even covered his costs
Learning all the time.
Stephan Gaal

Proud Member of Global Horology and Chapter 149
Stephan

Skype Account: stephan.gaal

New postby Marty101 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:10 pm

Nasty hobby. :( Thanks for that "backyard scrapper" link,Steve. Not that I was ever interested beyond understanding...playing with acid all day is not for me.
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

New postby Neilywatch » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:00 am

I have 2 people who will buy GF from me. They pile it all together for the refiner - like 50-100 pounds worth to make it worth everybody's while. They do pay a refining fee that gets passed on to the people who sell them the GF in the first place. But they don't pay much - like $5 per item.

What I used to do when I was buying out watchmakers - I would put all the GF in a pail until I got 40 pounds worth and when gold pops up, take it to my buyer. Last time I did that I got almost $5,000 - this was when gold was $1790 per ounce.
Neil Wohl
Neilywatch

NAWCC #: 0122281

Return to On-line trading - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly