Not an Oldie, but a Goodie and Unusual

Did you come by your clock in an interesting way? Does your clock come with a story? Provenance adds value ... and interest too. Tell your clock provenance story here.

Not an Oldie, but a Goodie and Unusual

New postby Wazza » Sat May 14, 2011 3:54 am

This is not an old clock and in fact, I bought it new in 1997 from Herr Zwink in Oberammergau in Bavaria, which is the town famous for wood carving and the Passion Play or "Passionsspiele". Herr Zwink buys in the movements and carves the base plates himself which makes each clock unique. Debbie and I were in Oberammergau to compete in a marathon cross country ski race called The Koenig Ludwig Lauf which starts and finishes near the town and winds through beautiful countryside, past the famous Benedictine Monastery (great Beer and of course the liqueur is made there by the monks) then 25km later, turns around in the gardens of Mad King Ludwig's Summer Palace which is a Versailles in miniature.

The first part of the story:

The clock was posted to us due to luggage limitations and when it arrived in Australia, Herr Zwinks excellent packaging had failed in that the movement had come loose from the securing wire on the track and had spent a month moving back and forwards, ruining the ratchet mechanism. A quick fax to Herr Zwink and he dispatched another movement on its track to us, asking us if we would return the broken one next time we were in Oberammergau. We surprised him two years later when we turned up at his shop on another skiing trip and handed back the broken movement.

I loved the unusual nature of the power being provided by the weight of the cast iron case moving down a ratchet track. It is fairly limited production clock being produced by a very small concern in Karlsruhe and is numbered. Details are "Robert Ferstl" Karlsruhe, Meisteruhr Nr 559. The regulator, a tiny knurled knob on the end of the "pendulum", is so effective that I can get this unit to perform to well under a minute a day.

Part two:

The clock has given faithful service for the past 10 years or so but then started to fail irregularly. I suspected dust, so this morning I bit the bullet and pulled it down, washed all the parts in the ultrasonic, dried in the oven and re-assembled, the latter, not without some difficulty due to the peculiar escapement system, a double escape wheel with central pinion and dual cut cam overhead escapement. If anyone knows what the "official" name is for this system, please enlighten me.

Interestingly, all the original pivot bearings in the plates are inserted bushes. There was no sign of wear to the bushings or to the pivots. Reassembled without the escapement, the unit ran so smoothly so I figured it must have just been gunk in the mechanism or, having Burmese Cats...the dreaded "Burmese clock-stopping cat hairs".

Anyhow, it is now hanging up and running like a dream, the heavy cast 90mm casing giving a very satisfying tic-toc echo to the works.

Wazza

IMG_1227.JPG
A lovely looking and unusual clock
IMG_1223.JPG
The little pendulum is moving so quickly
you cannot see it in this pic
IMG_1218.JPG
The rail and ratchet system
IMG_1217.JPG
The unusual escapement
IMG_1211.JPG
Stripped
IMG_1214.JPG
It Works !!
Warren Feakes
The Wombat from Down Under
Wazza

Skype Account: wazzawombat
NAWCC #: 0171370

Re: Not an Oldie, but a Goodie and Unusual

New postby Wazza » Sat May 14, 2011 5:35 am

It is interesting what you find when you look......http://www.antikeuhrenferstl.de/saegeuhr/saegeuhr.htm

This is the page of the website of Herr Ferstl, who made my clock!
Warren Feakes
Wazza

New postby Wazza » Sat May 14, 2011 5:45 am

And a bit of translation:
From the web page at the post above...

Since now 13 years finished I in my clock workshop the sawing clock, a small clock with a particularly original drive system. It runs of their dead weight propelled at a toothed bar downward, for drawing up it simply again is then upward pushed. Because the rack reminds of a saw blade, clocks these type traditionally sawing clocks are called. Already the Uhrmacher of the Renaissance and the baroque built clocks according to this principle.

I again designed the heart of my sawing clock, their mechanical work and developed a special own inhibition for it. Like its early models also this work has a lively swinging front pendulum. The gear wheels of the clockwork were manufactured after my measure gifts by black forests clock manufacturers. The production of the remaining parts and the assembly of the clock took place in pure manual work in my workshop. A numbering at the Uhrgehäuse finally marks each clock as individually manufactured piece of a Kleinstserie manufactured in old handicraft tradition.

The sawing clock can be manufactured completely according to your desires in the following remarks: • Dial gilds (24k-Goldauflage), put on number hoar frost with fine silver edition • Dial silvers (fine silver edition), put on number hoar frost from copper For the rear wall of the clock you can select under the following massif woods: • Feingemaserte oak in the following colours: antikisiert, red-brown, dark-brown • Cherry tree (bright) • Caucasian nut tree (dark-brown) • Meranti red-brown (mahagoniartig) • Pear tree (reddish-brown flamed) Measures: Wall board approx. 55 cm x 11 cm Diameter dial approx. 8 cm

I will let you put this into your own form of English! but I love the word "inhibition" for "escapement" provided by Babel Fish Translator and at least I now know to call my clock "A Renaissance Sawing Clock"
Wazza
Warren Feakes
Wazza

New postby Glyn Meredith » Sat May 14, 2011 3:08 pm

I couldn't think of a better name, Wazza.
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby veritas » Sat May 14, 2011 11:58 pm

Cool clock Warren.I have seen these on Ebay.I like them and hope to snag one someday.They look well made and should run a long time with care.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

Return to Clocks with a Story