Frank Lloyd Wright designed a clock case

Did you come by your clock in an interesting way? Does your clock come with a story? Provenance adds value ... and interest too. Tell your clock provenance story here.

Frank Lloyd Wright designed a clock case

New postby Andy Krietzer » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:50 pm

I have studied a lot on the Architect Frank Lloyd Wright (who died in 1959). One of the houses he designed in about 1902 for a wealthy client in Buffalo, NY, Darwin D Martin. He designed most of the furniture for it also, including a grandfather clock. I had only seen one picture of it from the 1940s. The house has recently been restored, parts rebuilt as original, and now they are working on the interior and furniture. They still have a number of original pieces from the house, including the clock. It will be restored and placed in the house.

This picture was sent to me by one of the people in charge of restoration, the quality of the picture was not very good, but you can get an idea of what it looks like. Hopefully I will tour this house soon.

Andy

DD Martin clock by Frank Lloyd Wright.jpg
DD Martin Clock designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in about 1902
Andy Krietzer

NAWCC #: 140894

Re: Frank Lloyd Wright designed a clock case

New postby veritas » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:39 pm

andy the clock reminds me of old English clocks as they were very plain looking and not much for ornaments, reminds me of the Twiss clocks as well.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

New postby Tom Huber » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:32 pm

Andy, Something like that would be a find for me. My house is a Frank Lloyd Wright design. It is called his "Americana" design. Post WW-II, he did a series of designs that were meant to be used by the everyday person. My house is one of these and was built in 1948.

Tom
Tom Huber

NAWCC #: 083412

New postby Andy Krietzer » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:35 pm

Saw another clock designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. This is in the house he designed for Meyer May in Grand Rapids, MI in 1909. I don't know if this is an original piece, or one that was recreated. The dial appears to be old, possibly German. This house was completely restored in 1987, and some original furniture was found from the house. Pieces that weren't located were recreated. No expense spared for this restoration to 1909 condition. I recommend touring this house if you are near Grand Rapids, to see what Frank Lloyd Wright was designing while others were still making Victorian houses.

The DD Martin house (the clock I showed in the first picture) is undergoing a complete restoration, and the interior may be done next year. I plan on touring it when it is finished. I't take pictures of the restored clock.

Andy

MeyerMayClock.jpg
Meyer May in Grand Rapids
MeyerMayLivingroom.jpg
Living room showing clock in place
OutsideMeyerMayHouse.jpg
Meyer May house in Grand Rapids, MI
So many clocks, so little time.

The International 400 Day Clock Chapter 168, Global Horology Chapter 192.
Andy Krietzer

NAWCC #: 140894

Return to Clocks with a Story