French Cathedral Clock

Did you come by your clock in an interesting way? Does your clock come with a story? Provenance adds value ... and interest too. Tell your clock provenance story here.

French Cathedral Clock

New postby fjmenez » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:59 am

When I was living in Ipswich England in 1968 I purchased a French Cathedral clock, known as the Louis Philippe Clock. Later I found out that a cathedral clock almost identical to my clock was know as the Daniel Webster Clock. Daniel Websters wife had purchased the clock in France and eventually donated it to Dathmouth College New Hampshiere. The French movement is signed Pickard # 487 (Joseph Pickard & Miss Sarah Ann 1869-81 London & Geneva retailers). The movement has a silk suspension and out side count wheel. The columns of the clock have images of the King & Queen of France. This clock may have been made to celebrate a coronation. I have seen other simular clocks with French movements , signed with different makers/retailers. I will post a picture of my clock as soon as I can figure out how to do it. I am still learning how to do various tasks on the computer.
Francis J. Menez
fjmenez

NAWCC #: 015520

Re: French Cathedral Clock

New postby dweiss17 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:48 pm

Francis:

I would love to put that clock in my 2011 Calendar NAWCC Timepieces from the Membership.

In June 2010 I'll be at the National Convention in York, PA. The calendar (for 2011) will be sold at my tables.

That clock should be featured on one page. Hope you can get good photos of it. And, full description.

Dan
Daniel M. Weiss
dweiss17

NAWCC #: 008331

French Cathedral Clock

New postby fjmenez » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:55 pm

French Cathedral Clock.

Cathedral Clock.jpg
Last edited by Glyn Meredith on Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Replaced pic with newer photo.
fjmenez

New postby veritas » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:13 pm

Really nice clock, unusual to me have not seen many of them. Would be nice to see a bigger picture and see more detail.
Thanks for sharing. :D
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

New postby Glyn Meredith » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:52 pm

Bigger pic is coming.
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby Glyn Meredith » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:02 am

Please note that most pics uploaded to GH are not suitable for printing but are set at a PC-screen resolution (72 dpi).

For my taste, photos are usually better either left in original condition or given to somebody properly trained in Photoshop (or similar) image editing. At first glance, some pictures may appear better if the background is removed but closer examination often shows that the edges of the subject are eaten away. Some people also find that an image floating in an unnatural background does not look as good as one where the environment of the subject is also shown. It's a question of taste, but where quality images are required (for screen or printing), much more is needed than just a few clicks in Photoshop.

Glyn

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

New postby fjmenez » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:34 am

I just received my copy of Antiquarian Horology and the Proceedings of the AHS and took notice of the high quality photos of clocks & watches. I now regret that the photos of my French Cathedral Clock are not up to that standard. We would like to present to the membership of MB the best possible photos, however this may not be possible due to the lack of skills by those who sunmit photos for the MB. Until I gain the computer skills I shall refrain from adding photos to my posts. I have had a geat deal of help from Glyn & Dan and do not wish to impose on them any longer.
Francis J. Menez
fjmenez

New postby Glyn Meredith » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:57 am

fjmenez wrote:I just received my copy of Antiquarian Horology and the Proceedings of the AHS and took notice of the high quality photos of clocks & watches. I now regret that the photos of my French Cathedral Clock are not up to that standard. We would like to present to the membership of MB the best possible photos, however this may not be possible due to the lack of skills by those who sunmit photos for the MB. Until I gain the computer skills I shall refrain from adding photos to my posts. I have had a geat deal of help from Glyn & Dan and do not wish to impose on them any longer.

As long as we are interested in learning and improving, I'm happy to receive any and all photos and see how they might be prepared for publication. Printing photos in a magazine or other printed medium takes more skill and effort but editing photos for a message board is a good goal for a start.

You take 'em and I'll edit 'em. Is that a deal?

Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

New postby fjmenez » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:57 pm

Glyn

It is an offer I can not refuse. Frank
Francis J. Menez
fjmenez

New postby Glyn Meredith » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:27 pm

Thanks for sending me the later photo, Frank. I've run it through Photoshop and posted it where the original photo was. It's a magnificent clock.

Glyn

Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Return to Clocks with a Story