English Lantern Clock

Did you come by your clock in an interesting way? Does your clock come with a story? Provenance adds value ... and interest too. Tell your clock provenance story here.

Re: English Lantern Clock

New postby Glyn Meredith » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:37 am

fjmenez wrote:A closer look at the photos of my lantern clock show that the bell straps are not properly inserted into the finials. As a result the bell is lower than it should be. I need to take some new photos with the bell in its proper position. I need to pay more attention to details. Perhaps I will leave things as they are, does it really matter?

If you can take more photos, Frank, I think that would be very useful. It's a magnificent time piece and it will look good show-cased here. If you send me the photos, I'll edit them for posting here.

Thank you for your support.

Glyn
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby fjmenez » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:58 pm

Glyn

My son is coming over to my house next week to retake the lantern clock photos. Will try to obtain better photos and will send them to you. I have a feeling that I am going to received a digital type camera for my birthday this month. I am going to try to learn how to take quality pictures etc.

Frank
Francis J. Menez
fjmenez

NAWCC #: 015520

New postby Glyn Meredith » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:10 am

fjmenez wrote:Glyn

My son is coming over to my house next week to retake the lantern clock photos. Will try to obtain better photos and will send them to you. I have a feeling that I am going to received a digital type camera for my birthday this month. I am going to try to learn how to take quality pictures etc.

Frank

I know you've learnt a lot in 75 years, Frank. I'm sure you can squeeze in another set of skills.

Anyone can take a good picture now and then. The secret is in learning how to take good pictures most of the time. :D

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

New postby Glyn Meredith » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:36 pm

Thanks for the newer photo of the dial side, Frank. I've run it through Photoshop and replaced the earlier pic.

Glyn

Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

New postby veritas » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:51 pm

Very interesting lantern clock.Too bad it has been modified.perhaps it was done as repair person did not know other ways and means of repairing it.John you are a member of the BHI, that is great, my hat is off to you sir.I could only wish to have a BHI beside my name.That is just great to me.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

New postby fjmenez » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:35 am

This lantern clock has been modified over a period of two hundred years. The changes to this clock were not made to deceive but to improve timekeeping. It was converted from balance wheel to anchor escapement for better timekeeping and this type of conversion is common. Some collectors have had their lanterns converted back to balance wheel. Some of these lantern clocks had minute work added, thus a minute hand. Frets and bells were often lost or damaged and replaced.
Francis J. Menez
fjmenez

New postby dweiss17 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:26 pm

Hello Frank:

I have been looking at other Lantern Clocks on the Internet, the BLACK hand stands out like a sore thumb.

Were it my clock, I would spray the one hand with a flat gray color so that the black hand does not draw
the eye away from the rest of the clock.

All of the clocks I looked at do not have such a dark hand, hope you understand my point.

Be well.

Dan
Daniel M. Weiss
dweiss17

NAWCC #: 008331

New postby fjmenez » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:56 am

Dan
As I said in a previous post this clock has been modified over the last 200 years. The hand on the lantern clock is of the correct type for this time period, however it probably is an 19th Century replacement. The hands on lantern clocks were made of steel or brass and were blued. I just took a look at English Lantern Clocks by W.F.J. Hana, and observed that the majority of the clocks illustrated have black hands, some of which are grayer due to the blueing being worn over a long period of time. Is there some process that can dull the hands thru the photographic process??
I have an 18th Century lantern with hands that are worn and grayer and perhaps I can use the hour hand on the 17th Century clock.
Frank

I know you want to have the best photos on your calendar and perhaps you can replace my lantern with another.If you do my feelings will not be hurt.
Francis J. Menez
fjmenez

Previous

Return to Clocks with a Story