Glennallen, AK school house clock

Did you come by your clock in an interesting way? Does your clock come with a story? Provenance adds value ... and interest too. Tell your clock provenance story here.

Glennallen, AK school house clock

New postby brownsrplm » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:35 am

I received this clock from an elderly lady that lived by me while stationed in Alaska. She was once a school teacher in Glennallen, AK and said that the clock she gave me was the school clock. In those days, school was in a one or two room school house that was fired by a wood stove, lit by candle and had a wind-up clock for the time. Glennallen, AK was quite small and was considered "in the bush" during those days so there was no such thing as electricity.

I was fortunate to be living in the same general area (couldn't call it a subdivision) she did and from walks daily we got to know her. One day I found it on my doorstep along with a note about it's history, and that it was now my clock. It was made by Sessions back in the 1930's and is a rather small regulator clock by clock standards, but fits in well with the rest of my clocks. The wife added the "artistic" touch to the clock.

DSC00256.JPG
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

Re: Glennallen, AK school house clock

New postby John Moane » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:54 am

Beautiful clock Raymund, I have a hex Seth Thomas school clock that a friend gave me many years ago and dragged it back to Japan. These are by far one of my favorite clocks. Not sure if the hands are original, but it does tick just needs adjustment on the hands .

DSC01210.JPG
John Moane

Skype Account: John Moane
NAWCC #: 0163808

Re: Glennallen, AK school house clock

New postby brownsrplm » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:17 am

Hands look correct to me John, nice clock!!
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

Return to Clocks with a Story