Watch of Clyde Barrow coming up for auction

GH Members can run their own auctions of horological items here or participate in some public auctions using Global Horology as a proxy. Please read the forum rules.
Forum rules
If you want to run your own auction here you must be at least 18 years of age and be a GH Member to participate in this forum. Registered users need to have their address verified by the message board management before they can be ranked as GH Members .

There are four basic rules for running your own auction:
1) Auction presentations must fully disclose the condition and known provenance of the items being sold, including any information that might influence a potential buyer. Selling an item "as is" will indicate that the item is not running reliably and should be considered as needing work or to be used for parts only.
2) You are responsible for running your own auctions, so you must be available to mind the auction and to post notice when the auction ends.
3) You may decide to cancel an auction before the original stated end-time or extend it, but you should make this clear by posting that on the auction topic when it starts.
4) When the auction has finished, you should post notice of its completion and the name of the winner.

A completed auction is a contract. Any disputes should be referred to the message board management, whose decision will be final.

Watch of Clyde Barrow coming up for auction

New postby John Johnson » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:27 pm

This is interesting. IT is a Elgin 16size 17 jewel Grade 387 in a gold filled case.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clyde Barrow
Clyde Barrow's Watch Recovered From His Body
Clyde Barrow’s pocket watch recovered from his body on the morning of May 23, 1934, after being mortally wounded by Captain Frank Hamer and other peace officers. The Elgin pocket watch, serial number 28683536, with a Wadsworth 10 Karat gold filled screw-back case, manufactured in 1925. Watch measures 1.75? in diameter. Accompanied by a copy of a 1997 notarized letter from Marie Barrow, Clyde Barrow’s sister, which reads, in part: “The Elgin Pocket Watch…belonged to my brother Clyde Barrow and was being worn by him on the morning of May 23, 1934, when he and Bonnie Parker were killed by Captain Frank Hamer and the other Peace Officers under his command. On hearing of the death of my brother, my father, Henry Barrow, went to Arcadia, Louisiana, to accompany the body of his son back to Dallas. Among Clyde’s personal effects given to my father was the watch described above. In memory of his son, he wore this watch until his death on June 19, 1957.” Provenance: Butterfield and Butterfield 1997.

The September 2012 Specialty Auction closes on Sunday September 30, 2012

Clyde watch.jpg
John Johnson
John Johnson

Skype Account: John E Johnson

Re: Watch of Clyde Barrow coming up for auction

New postby veritas » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:55 pm

Thanks John for posting this, i never knew his watch was recovered. i would imagine it would sell quite high though.Hope someone can post here after and tell us how much it sold for. Out of curiousity i wonder if Bonnie,s watch is still around.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

New postby Marty101 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:21 pm

Whoa! John,I saw this post and didn't quite make the connection until now,a few days later-Bonnie &Clyde!!
This would be one cool watch to own;I'm not often into the history of these but I'm willing to make an exception. Sure looks in good shape;doesn't look like the Barrow men carried it long,no bullet holes,might need a cleaning being around all that dirty money though... :lol:
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

New postby John Johnson » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:47 pm

Odds are very good that Mr. Barrow lifted this fine watch from one of the men that they kidnapped. They kidnapped several individuals including couples. I seriously doubt he went into a jewelry store and purchased it. All of their effects were split up among the 6 man possie that killed them in cold blood. There were dozens and dozens of weapons and over 1000s clips of ammo recovered.
John Johnson
John Johnson

Skype Account: John E Johnson

Return to Horological Auctions (watches, clocks, parts, accessories, etc.)