What would you like to see in a good auction site?

GH Members can run their own auctions of horological items here or participate in some public auctions using Global Horology as a proxy. Please read the forum rules.
Forum rules
If you want to run your own auction here you must be at least 18 years of age and be a GH Member to participate in this forum. Registered users need to have their address verified by the message board management before they can be ranked as GH Members .

There are four basic rules for running your own auction:
1) Auction presentations must fully disclose the condition and known provenance of the items being sold, including any information that might influence a potential buyer. Selling an item "as is" will indicate that the item is not running reliably and should be considered as needing work or to be used for parts only.
2) You are responsible for running your own auctions, so you must be available to mind the auction and to post notice when the auction ends.
3) You may decide to cancel an auction before the original stated end-time or extend it, but you should make this clear by posting that on the auction topic when it starts.
4) When the auction has finished, you should post notice of its completion and the name of the winner.

A completed auction is a contract. Any disputes should be referred to the message board management, whose decision will be final.

What would you like to see in a good auction site?

New postby John Moane » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:24 pm

I was wondering what watch buyers and sellers would want to see in an auction site. Looking forward to your reply. John
John Moane

Skype Account: John Moane
NAWCC #: 0163808

Re: What would you like to see in a good auction site?

New postby Glyn Meredith » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:21 pm

John Moane wrote:I was wondering what watch buyers and sellers would want to see in an auction site. Looking forward to your reply. John

Proxy bidding; low fees; a feedback system that is fair and works; good management; intolerance of fraud; at least hundreds of regular buyers and sellers; auction cancellations and extensions at the seller's choice.

There are other things, but that will do for a start from me. :)

Glyn
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby veritas » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:27 pm

I can,t add any more to this than Glyn has. :D :D
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

New postby Stephan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:56 pm

If I was building one I would go for a flat fee structure and work it like a newspaper.
Pay up front for the space you use and forget about the rest of the fees.
I would have a joining fee of say $20 and then let the seller use up the fee by placing adds.
When the money is gone you have to add more dollars before you can place more adds.
Like a pre paid mobile phone. No bill to send and no bad debts the chase.
Low overheads equals less work to run it equals lower fees.

I would let everyone (all public) look at the adds but you would have to join up to bid on stuff
with some kind of serious vetting process before you could join. Keep out the problem children as far as is possable.

I would have some kind of probation period that might limit new buyers to a max bid till they prove themselves.

I would keep new stuff and old stuff separate not all mixed in together or at least make it easy to filter out what you are not interested in.

Finally I would have links to other useful sites like postage sites or couriers.
There might even be some educational material available to help people with postage and packing.
Ways to pay and traps to avoid. That kind of stuff.
Learning all the time.
Stephan Gaal

Proud Member of Global Horology and Chapter 149
Stephan

Skype Account: stephan.gaal

New postby John Johnson » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:09 pm

Make it impossible to Snipe an auction. Last bidder wins after a period of 2 minutes, after every bid the clock resets. I have lost more auctions to the snipers than anything else. Now I just put in my max price and let it ride, problem is that most people would be willing to go the additional $2 the sniper beats you with to win an item. Snipers are bad for sellers for sure, and for buyers also.
John Johnson
John Johnson

Skype Account: John E Johnson

New postby Irwin » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:40 pm

I'm with John J. on the sniping issue. Ideally, it needs a solution.
IF
Irwin
GH Moderator

Skype Account: sirirwin
NAWCC #: 167882

New postby Stephan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:28 am

Can't agree with a ban on sniping. Without it those in different time zones are at a dis advantage.
I have tried leaving bids the night before only to have someone creap up on my bid till they piped me at the post.
I have also had "the sellers friend" push me up.
I don't see sniping as unfair because anyone can use it.
If your bid is highest they can snipe all they want and you will still win.
I prefer to place bids myself but if the item ends at 3.00 am and I am keen on it I will use a sniping service to bid for me.
I have had about 50% success rate with it so it fails sometimes just like any other system you try.
At the end of the day if someone else is willing to pay more then you are unlikely to win.
Learning all the time.
Stephan Gaal

Stephan

New postby Glyn Meredith » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:41 am

I'm for auction extensions - if there are bids in the last minute or so, the auction is automatically extended (seller's choice). As a seller, I've sometimes seen a bidding war start this way. It adds tension and a higher price for the seller.

I also back the seller being able to cancel an auction at any time and for any reason - with a small penalty to stop it becoming too common practice. Cancellations can be annoying for buyers but if a seller annoys the customers too often, they will shop elsewhere, so the seller has to use this sparingly.

Both of these functions are seen on the Japan Yahoo auctions, which I use for both buying and selling. For me, the functionality there beats eBay any day.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

New postby Stephan » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:16 am

One more feature that would be useful is some kind of negotiation process that you could use when the auction ends.

On Ebay if a seller sets a reserve and the bidding doesn't reach it that's it. Game over.

At a real auction say for a house if the item is passed in there is still a chance that the seller and the highest bidder can come to an arrangement.

I know it can still happen on Ebay if you contact the seller and he is willing to talk to you but it occurs outside the system.

Would be better if it could occur as part of the process so both buyer and seller are still protected. ( as far as it goes anyway )
Learning all the time.
Stephan Gaal

Stephan

New postby Jdzwatches » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:59 am

I have to admit my guilt as far as sniping goes.After loosing the first 5 or 6 auctions to others who snipe I felt like there was no way to win unless you were willing to bid more than the watch was worth or snipe.It would be nice if their was a system where you don't have to deal with snipers but I haven't figured out what that is.I've purchased as many watches with (buy it now) as sniping but that's not always an option.I think most of the ideas that have been listed here would improve an auction site.
'JD' - James Green
Jdzwatches

New postby Glyn Meredith » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:22 am

JD, the system to deal with snipers exists and works well, but eBay doesn't use it. It's simple: any bid placed in the last few minutes of an auction automatically extends the auction by a few minutes. That process continues until there are no competing bids for 5 minutes (or whatever time is set). The problem with sniping is it creates no benefit for the seller and only favours those who snipe.

Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

New postby mars-red » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:00 pm

Haha I think I'm the only one here in favor of sniping. :) I do agree that a system that prevents sniping would be better, all around, for all parties involved... but I readily admit to taking advantage of the ability to snipe on e-bay.

This is a great topic!
mars-red

NAWCC #: 0174607

New postby Jdzwatches » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:16 pm

Yes Glyn that would help,I read somewhere maybe on this site that some auction was set up like that and the auction reset to 2min. for any bid placed in the last 2min.I felt like I couldn't beat them so I had to join the snipers.I'll admit I buy more parts than watches off of eBay.As far as the sellers I feel if there honest about the watch setting and running that's about all I can expect from them except good pics.

It's only slightly different from any pawn shop as far as depending on the owner to point out flaws,thay will always point out what's right with a watch instead of what's wrong with it.I think it's the buyers responsibility to look out for his or her own investment.If not you will loose somewhere along the line.I've just accepted this as the way it is now.I'm not sure if that's going to change.

As far as sniping goes it's no sure thing either in my expierence,Ive won maybe 1/4 of the auctions I've attempted to snipe so it's just a tool to try to win but no sure thing.
'JD' - James Green
Jdzwatches

New postby watchguy » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:03 pm

I also like the ability to use a sniping tool as a buyer. It's no sure thing, but it does help me sleep at night! I also like the idea of extending the auction if there are bids still coming in, but I don't think the seller should ever be able to pull an item from an aution for any reason (one exception would be for any error). That's what reserves and minimum opening bids are for!
watchguy

NAWCC #: 0168246

New postby Stephan » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:49 pm

Sniping may not appear fair at first glance but since the tool is available to everyone and costs nothing unless you win I contend that it is the only way to provide a level playing field across all the time zones where potential bidders live.
Doing it Glyn's way may appear fairer but would give a big advantage to those in the same time zone as the item.
Would you be willing to set your alarm for 3.00 am to bid on something you wanted in the UK for example.

Perhaps an option would be to give the seller a button to accept or reject snipes. Let the seller choose.
Learning all the time.
Stephan Gaal

Stephan

Next

Return to Horological Auctions (watches, clocks, parts, accessories, etc.)