What would you like to see in a good auction site?

GH Members can run their own auctions of horological items here or participate in some public auctions using Global Horology as a proxy. Please read the forum rules.
Forum rules
If you want to run your own auction here you must be at least 18 years of age and be a GH Member to participate in this forum. Registered users need to have their address verified by the message board management before they can be ranked as GH Members .

There are four basic rules for running your own auction:
1) Auction presentations must fully disclose the condition and known provenance of the items being sold, including any information that might influence a potential buyer. Selling an item "as is" will indicate that the item is not running reliably and should be considered as needing work or to be used for parts only.
2) You are responsible for running your own auctions, so you must be available to mind the auction and to post notice when the auction ends.
3) You may decide to cancel an auction before the original stated end-time or extend it, but you should make this clear by posting that on the auction topic when it starts.
4) When the auction has finished, you should post notice of its completion and the name of the winner.

A completed auction is a contract. Any disputes should be referred to the message board management, whose decision will be final.

Re: What would you like to see in a good auction site?

New postby Glyn Meredith » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:04 am

Stephan wrote: ... Would you be willing to set your alarm for 3.00 am to bid on something you wanted in the UK for example ...

It's a regular occurrence here in Tokyo, Steve. :o

It's very difficult for anyone outside Japan to bid on Yahoo Auctions Japan, so the reverse conditions don't really apply.
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby Jdzwatches » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:56 am

Your right about the time zone Stephan,I didn't think about that and it would make international auctions harder to make fair.

I think it was Derek that said something about sellers not being able to end auctions early,while that has not happened to me many times, a problem that has occured twice after winning an auction,is then the seller sends you an eBay message telling you that the item sold out of their shop and the listing wasn't removed.

Always seems to be an auction you won at a good price.I wonder if the item would be available if it sold for twice as much???
'JD' - James Green
Jdzwatches

New postby Stephan » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:30 pm

Had a similar thing happen to me when I won a multi coloured case at a good price.
The bloke kept posting it and it kept coming back to him. ( post office problem he said )

If someone wants to get out of a sale tis not much you can do to stop it.

I used to get annoyed but now I just shrug my shoulders and wait for the next one.
There is always another one or something just as good and sometimes better.
Learning all the time.
Stephan Gaal

Proud Member of Global Horology and Chapter 149
Stephan

Skype Account: stephan.gaal

Previous

Return to Horological Auctions (watches, clocks, parts, accessories, etc.)