Jones and Horan

GH Members can run their own auctions of horological items here or participate in some public auctions using Global Horology as a proxy. Please read the forum rules.
Forum rules
If you want to run your own auction here you must be at least 18 years of age and be a GH Member to participate in this forum. Registered users need to have their address verified by the message board management before they can be ranked as GH Members .

There are four basic rules for running your own auction:
1) Auction presentations must fully disclose the condition and known provenance of the items being sold, including any information that might influence a potential buyer. Selling an item "as is" will indicate that the item is not running reliably and should be considered as needing work or to be used for parts only.
2) You are responsible for running your own auctions, so you must be available to mind the auction and to post notice when the auction ends.
3) You may decide to cancel an auction before the original stated end-time or extend it, but you should make this clear by posting that on the auction topic when it starts.
4) When the auction has finished, you should post notice of its completion and the name of the winner.

A completed auction is a contract. Any disputes should be referred to the message board management, whose decision will be final.

Jones and Horan

New postby Chris Daniel » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:51 am

Has anyone been to a Jones and Horan auction? I was thinking of making to trip to the one in April. Just wondering what everyones impression of it is.

Chris
Chris Daniel
Chris Daniel

NAWCC #: 129899

Re: Jones and Horan

New postby 4thdimension » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:21 pm

I went to these sales often between 1989-1992. Back then the typed up lot sheets had very rudimentary descriptions and, of course, there was no internet competition . Previewing the lots was sometimes a rough and tumble affair which sometimes led to the possibility of scoring overlooked items. I had a ball! The current sales are pretty slick by comparison, the number of bidders is greater and the lot descriptions far more detailed.
That said, Jones and Horan always puts together many wonderful offerings and run a professional show (and no sales tax). Being there in person is always going to be the best option IMHO.
-Cort
Cort Moore
4thdimension

NAWCC #: 094512

New postby Fred E. Hansen » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:21 pm

I've attended one J-H auction in person and I've put in absentee bids on a few items at most their other auctions over the last few years. If I lived closer to these I would definitely attend these auctions more often, but since I live pretty far away there has to be a few items I am seriously interested in seeing for me to consider making the trip to New Hampshire.

You definitely put yourself in the best competitive position by attending and being able to examine the items for yourself. Like any venue some watches will have their "issues" and if you bid without a firsthand examination you will be in direct competition with dozens of people that were there and looked it over in hand. Obviously nice watches can still be bought absentee, but it is something to keep in mind when considering whether to attend or not.

Besides no sales tax in New Hampshire, these auctions are also nice for having no "buyer's premium". And the folks running these auctions are very warm and friendly. I think you will enjoy your experience if you choose to go to one of these.

Fred
Fred E. Hansen
NAWCC #109682

Watches For Sale at FHWatch.com
Fred E. Hansen

NAWCC #: 109682

New postby Chris Daniel » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:58 pm

Cort and Fred,

Thanks for the reply. Thats what I needed to know. I live about 5 hours away so I think I'll make the effort to go.

Chris
Chris Daniel
Chris Daniel

NAWCC #: 129899

New postby Glyn Meredith » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:32 am

Sounds good. Everything I have ever heard about Jones and Horan auctions has been good - and the absence of a buyer's premium is a real positive.
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

Return to Horological Auctions (watches, clocks, parts, accessories, etc.)