Max's Blog

A blog is an ongoing diary or commentary. You can communicate with other members or reflect on your life, work, or anything that comes to mind. Even if nobody reads your blog, you can keep it as an open journal. Few personal blogs rise to fame but you might gain a loyal following. One-line entries or post in great detail - it's up to you - but be prepared to receive questions and comments from other members.
Forum rules
Please take one "New Topic" and make it your blog - one topic only, please. Please post within the bounds of common decency and civility, and make your blog as long as you like. No advertising.

Any response on a blog should be to the blog owner, not to any other poster.

Re: Max's Blog

New postby mars-red » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:36 am

Marty101 wrote:Max,you are a good father. :D That is just so cool,something like that would have given my mind a real push at that age-hey,I'm assuming 4-5 years?

Thanks Marty! Exactly right, my oldest is 5 and youngest is turning 4 in about a week. :)
mars-red

NAWCC #: 0174607

New postby brownsrplm » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:40 am

Max,
If you put the 5 and 4 together that fits me. Can you make me one of those?
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

New postby mars-red » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:54 am

brownsrplm wrote:Max,
If you put the 5 and 4 together that fits me. Can you make me one of those?

Haha sure but don't you want to wait for the improved version, complete with milling attachment, steady rest, following rest, and compound slide? :D
mars-red

New postby L48X55 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:56 pm

Great Max !! I wish I could go back but don't we all. Now I am repeating " I will not buy Legos. I will not buy Legos'' . My therapist taught me that little trick when I was wanting to kill my ex-wife. :D :D
Daniel Wysner
L48X55

NAWCC #: 176862

New postby Marty101 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:05 pm

Dan,I gotta know-did it work?
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

New postby brownsrplm » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:03 pm

Which one, the ex or Lego's? :lol:
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby Stephan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:00 pm

I am just getting into Lego trains again with my Grandson.
The same set my son and I used to play with.
When he outgrew it we boxed it up and put it away in the loft.
Now it is back and apart from a few small accessories that were lost as good as it ever was.
We have enough track to run the full length of the hall and a good collection of switches etc.

Only thing that has suffered with time is me. That floor appears to be a bit further down than I remember.
Learning all the time.
Stephan Gaal

Proud Member of Global Horology and Chapter 149
Stephan

Skype Account: stephan.gaal

New postby L48X55 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:36 am

Marty101 wrote:Dan,I gotta know-did it work?

Well Marty I'm here writing on MAx's Blog and talking about Lego's that I haven't bought yet so I'm two fur two as of today. But I've had a bad week and haven't been out of the house since last Wednesday so ..........

Sorry Max, I guess I need to start my own. Didn't mean for this to happen
Daniel Wysner
L48X55

NAWCC #: 176862

New postby Marty101 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:27 am

Dan's right-we hijacked Max.
Sorry Max-it was the Lego's I think!
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

New postby mars-red » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:02 am

Haha no worries guys, I'm not bothered by it one bit!

brownsrplm wrote:Which one, the ex or Lego's? :lol:

LOL that's funny right there! :)
mars-red

New postby Marty101 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:57 am

Uh oh,Max. Now you encouraged him.
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

New postby brownsrplm » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:08 pm

No Marty,
I figure I'll just wait until max gets the full-blown lathe done and ask for one of those. As for funny comments, they only happen when I'm not thinking. :roll:
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby mars-red » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:24 pm

Busy times lately, between work and our youngest's 4th birthday, and a new (well, new to me) car purchase. Work is going really well and my wife and I had been talking for a little while about getting rid of our two old Golfs (my '91 and her '96) and getting a daily driver for me, that was a little newer. Even though my old Golf was a heap, it was more fun than a barrel of monkeys... so the challenge was to find something that was still fun, and interesting.

The thrill is in the hunt, as they say, and I had a great time looking through used cars for sale, and I had a pretty good list of fun/interesting daily drivers put together. At the top of my list was a car I have been dreaming of for an awful long time... the Volkswagen R32. They made 5000 of them for the U.S. market in 2004, then another 5000 in 2008. Rumor has it they won't make any more of them on the current chassis... it seems that the Golf R has taken over the role. Because of the limited numbers they're generally tough to find over here, but interestingly enough the Northeast seems to have more of a concentration of them. I found 4 or 5 of the 2008s for sale within 200 miles of here, both dealer and private sale. My reservation about the 2008 model was that they were only available with the 6 speed DSG transmission (an electronically controlled dual-clutch sequential manual, with the ability to operate in an automatic mode) and I wasn't sure how well I'd like it. By contrast, the 2004 was available only with a 6 speed stick shift. One of the 2008s for sale nearby was at an Acura dealership so I stopped by on a whim, and took it for a test drive to see firsthand what the DSG was like. In short, I liked the DSG quite a bit and the sticker price was a bargain so I couldn't let it get away. I bought it and drove it home that same evening. It took a couple of days to get used to the DSG but the more I drive it the more I like it. One of the difficulties in shopping for an R32 is that most of them are modified by their owners... this one, mercifully, is bone stock.

Here are couple of poor quality pics I took the night I brought it home. It's united gray... they made around 1175 of them in this color.
R32_1.jpg

R32_2.jpg
mars-red

New postby brownsrplm » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:57 pm

Max,
VW does make some sweet rides and your is one nice find. We make the Passat here in Chattanooga, TN and there is talk of an SUV also, providing the UAW doesn't gain control of the workforce here. That will pretty much stop the German's from building anything else here.
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby mars-red » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:06 pm

brownsrplm wrote:Max,
VW does make some sweet rides and your is one nice find. We make the Passat here in Chattanooga, TN and there is talk of an SUV also, providing the UAW doesn't gain control of the workforce here. That will pretty much stop the German's from building anything else here.

Thanks! I have relatives down that way, and had heard about the VW plant down there. I didn't know about the UAW thing going on though. :( The Passats are great cars - my brother has a modified one that he takes to shows.
mars-red

PreviousNext

Return to Blogs