Got a Kundo

Discussions about Torsion Pendulum Clocks

Got a Kundo

New postby Dch48 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:59 pm

I decided I might want a 400 day anniversary clock and I looked around and found a working one on Etsy for $55. It's a Kundo and probably one of the later ones from the 70's. It looks new and when I bought it, I asked the seller to please either remove the pendulum or lock it down. He failed to do so and the clock arrived with the suspension spring snapped off right at the top of the pendulum. I informed the seller and he offered to refund $20 but I haven't seen it yet. I went through eBay with the Horolovar company and sent them the broken suspension unit which they reassembled with a new spring for $15 including return shipping. So I have $70 in the clock now which I think is still a good deal. I installed the new unit and after some timing adjustments, the clock is now keeping almost perfect time. In the last 3 days, it may have lost 3 seconds. From what I have read, that is extremely good for the type of clock. It amazes me that a clock that runs at a rate of 8 beats per minute, not second but minute, can be so accurate.
400 Day.jpg
Donald C. Henderson
Dch48

Re: Got a Kundo

New postby KeithR » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:45 pm

^^Steal Don^^

Keith
Bryan Keith Richmond
KeithR

NAWCC #: 163409

New postby brownsrplm » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:41 pm

Don,
My guess would be late 50's or 60's. They started making quartz movements in the 70's and these clocks started being made real cheap...
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

New postby Irwin » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:48 am

Don- A nice clock.
I reckon to have accumulated a bit of mileage with these clocks and I invariably find them a challenge. They run on a knife edge, a fraction left or right and they refuse to run. That's the challenge. Everything has to be lined up just right. There are a number of videos on You Tube posted by guys demonstrating how to put them into beat. Of course they only post videos of successes, so it looks easy. The reality is often otherwise.

To learn the trade so to speak, I started by buying 50s-70s models that I could pick up for US$30-$50 in junk shops and markets. Recently, I sold these off and realigned my interest to the antique models. You can pick up battered and bruised JUFs, Badisches and sometimes GBs for $80-$150. The enjoyment is in restoring them back to close to what they had once been, and the results are often very good and certainly satisfying.

You can easily do the suspension springs yourself. It will be much cheaper, and anyway you'll find that you often have to make adjustments to the fork, so whatever, you have to take it on board. The most useful tool to have beside you is Terwilliger's book.

Enjoy your clock and if the bug gets you, then I recommend you look at the heavy brass antique models.
IF
Irwin
GH Moderator

Skype Account: sirirwin
NAWCC #: 167882

Return to Torsion Pendulum Clocks