Master Special 400 Day

Discussions about Torsion Pendulum Clocks

Master Special 400 Day

New postby brownsrplm » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:45 pm

I've been working on this Master Special 400 Day clock that I bought some time ago, messed with a bit and gave up on. It sat on a shelf for many years and I pulled it out today to see what might be the problem. Turned out the fork did not have sufficient clearance when at it's extreme position, which causes the clock to eventually quit. Had I played with this clock just a bit more, it would still be running like it is today.

Master Special Clocks were made from 1965 to 1973 when they went to electronic clocks. So, this is a Vietnam era clock. First sales were chiefly through U.S. Navy stores in Vietnam, Bangkok and other Near East cities. Later, some clocks were sold direct to U.S. importers.

DSC00267.JPG

DSC00268.JPG
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

Re: Master Special 400 Day

New postby John Hubby » Mon May 12, 2014 4:18 pm

Just a word of caution when servicing these clocks. On most models the mainspring barrel cannot be opened without severe damage, because the barrel is crimped over the back cover. Nisshindo Watch Co. (Master brand manufacturer) used synthetic oil on the mainsprings and sealed the barrels permanently in the same manner as sealed ball or roller bearings. I did take one apart and found the mainspring to be perfectly clean after 40 years service, no crud or discoloration of the oil was found, so this is a testament to the use of synthetics such as Mobil 1 or Slick50 HP. My personal experience with the latter two bears this out, I have three clocks serviced 20 years ago that have been inspected every five years and found to be in exactly the same condition as when serviced. I just closed up the barrels with no cleaning or oil replenishment at all. It was necessary to clean and re-lube the pivots after 10 year intervals.
John Hubby

NAWCC #: 077889

Re: Master Special 400 Day

New postby brownsrplm » Mon May 12, 2014 5:02 pm

John,
Being an old master mechanic I realized when I tore this one down that it wasn't meant to be taken apart. I made an assumption that it had to be a sealed unit and should be okay, which it was. Much like sealed bearings on a vehicle. Good bit of info there, thanks for sharing it.
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

Return to Torsion Pendulum Clocks