Badische Uhrenfabrik

Discussions about Torsion Pendulum Clocks

Re: Badische Uhrenfabrik

New postby brownsrplm » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:11 pm

Irwin,
I found this info on an obscure posting at the green boards.

HI Andy,
I have one of these Kern battery remontoire miniature torsion pendulum clocks running on two AA batteries in series, ie.3 volts, and it runs just fine. Purchase a double AA cell plastic holder from Radio Shack or the like and fit it up under the base where the original battery used to fit.Solder the wires to the terminals on the holder and away you go. How long will it run ? So far 3 months on two alkaline AA's.
Lindsay Bramall.
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

New postby Irwin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:29 pm

This is a start. I'll look to see if I can find an AA battery holder.
Thanks
IF
Irwin
GH Moderator

Skype Account: sirirwin
NAWCC #: 167882

New postby Irwin » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:32 am

I am coming back to my Badische.
I never succeeded in getting it to run for any length of time.
I have now located another one being sold for renovation/spares which is just what I have been looking for.
Waiting for it to arrive, and then we'll see what the plates look like on this one. Hopefully, between the two of them I'll get a clock that runs.

BD.jpg
IF
Irwin
GH Moderator

New postby Irwin » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:08 am

Clock has arrived.
I removed the dial and as you'll see from the pics here, this one has the rathbun bushings the same as the other one.
So now we have to consider that this is the way this model was meant to be.
It's good to be able see another one to compare them, and this one looks like it hasn't been touched for a long time.
Before I dismantle it, I'll see if it is any better at running.

This is as I received it out of the package,

Bad2.jpg

And behind the dial,

Bad1.jpg
IF
Irwin
GH Moderator

New postby Irwin » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:03 pm

Though I bought it under the tag line 'spares or repairs', this one runs. Now been running 30 hours and looks like it means to continue.
The next step is a 'deep clean', and hopefully when that is done I'll get it back into beat. I am not going to open up the rathbun bushings. They'll be cleaned in situ.
IF
Irwin
GH Moderator

New postby Irwin » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:35 am

Comparing the movements, a couple of things are different.

In Clock 2 there is a coiled wire/spring on the main shaft, which is absent on Clock 1.
I guess its there to improve the tension on the hour and minute wheels train.

Clock 2

BS3.jpg

Clock 1

BS1.jpg

Also, the saddles are different designs, and the distance between the centers of the drill holes for the securing screws is not identical.

BS4.jpg

BS5.jpg
IF
Irwin
GH Moderator

New postby Irwin » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:04 pm

Now back together again.
Time-keeping trials...

B02.jpg
IF
Irwin
GH Moderator

New postby Irwin » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:57 pm

It was nowhere close to keeping time. I timed it for 8 beats and the result showed I needed to slow the clock, so I changed to a 0.0033 spring (recommended 0.0035), with the regulating screw positioned in the center, played with the position of the fork.
Now 8 beats are taking exactly 1.00 minute. I hope it stays that way.
IF
Irwin
GH Moderator

New postby Irwin » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:20 am

These are frustrating clocks.
It runs for hours and looks like it is pretty much keeping time, so I start to feel self-satisfied like I have achieved something, and then it decides to stop... More investigative work is required.
Meanwhile my Hermle decided to stop running, after almost 6 months of continuous operation. I moved it to fine adjust the time keeping, which was a bad move. It has been a struggle to get it back into beat.
A rule of thumb with these - if they are running and just about keeping time, then don't touch them.
Need to keep in mind that these clocks tell you what the time might be, and if you want to know what the time really is, then get a cheap quartz watch.
IF
Irwin
GH Moderator

New postby richiec » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:06 pm

Just remember the old adage, a man with one clock knows what time it is, a man with two clocks isn't quite sure. I only wish these clocks gonged or bonged. I have one Kundo that works great and three miniatures, Kern, Kundo and Schatz, that I can't get running. I had the Kern running for about 8 hours, moved it, hasn't run since.
Richard Cross
richiec

NAWCC #: 0168470

New postby brownsrplm » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:42 pm

Have to remember that temp, humidity, barometric pressure, and being just about perfectly level are just some of the irritating little things that throw these off. Most homes I go in that have them, I find are just sitting there not running. My Kern miniature, a Shatz, the Urania, GB, and the Master Special are all running fine as of this date, however as Irwin pointed out they do differ in timekeeping ability over time.

I was looking at the difference between both your clocks Irwin and find the small changes made to be intriguing. This could be the work of a repair person some time in the past, or a difference between early and later models. The fact that the second one has Rathburn bushings on both plates makes me suspect that the grade of brass used on these models wasn't too good. I don't believe any of these came from the factory that way. Still, they are both good examples of early efforts to make 400 day clocks. Just would be nice if they stayed running!!
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

Previous

Return to Torsion Pendulum Clocks