GB 400 day disc

Discussions about Torsion Pendulum Clocks

GB 400 day disc

New postby brownsrplm » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:41 pm

I just purchased this Gustav Becker 400 day and can't wait to get my hands on her! She does need some attention but is a very good representation of early 400 day clocks. I do need the shield for the suspension spring which may prove hard to find, but still the rest is intact.

An opinion: would you service this clock all the way to include re-polishing all the brass or leave it with the patina (I call it rust & oxidation)? Your thoughts guys...
Gustav Becker 400 day disc clock.JPG

Gustav Becker 400 day disc clock #2.JPG
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

Re: GB 400 day disc

New postby Irwin » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:37 pm

A great acquisition. Enjoy it.
I like to see the brass gleaming, so I would have no hesitation and would clean and polish up the brass. The result will look spectacular.
I have seen suspension guards on eBay. It's not essential, so I would only buy if the price was within reason.
IF
Irwin
GH Moderator

Skype Account: sirirwin
NAWCC #: 167882

New postby brownsrplm » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:33 pm

Would you believe I just picked up a second one? It's a Urania 400 day disc and is either made by Phillip Hass or Jahreshurenfabrik according to Terwilliger's book. I will have to look through all the plates to make sure. One thing I know, it is before WWI.
Urania 400 day disc.JPG

Urania 400 day disc #2.JPG
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby brownsrplm » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:51 pm

Here's a link to another clock like I just bought. It is for sale on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400-Day-vintage ... 2a35f80a12

GB.JPG

GB #2.JPG

The piece on the back is what I need for mine, don't see them very often.
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby brownsrplm » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:34 am

Figured out both of mine. The Gustav Becker is plate # 1191 made in 1902 and the Urania is plate # 1146 Jahresuhrenfabrik made in 1908. Good finds both, thanks Irwin for the tip on the suspension guard as I found one for the GB, so now it will be complete.
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby Irwin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:22 am

Ray - That's another nice one. I hope you didn't pay $600 for it as in the example you showed us.
Your enthusiasm encouraged me, so I also got myself another JUF - $60 paid.
Here's what I bought. It's described as running and stopping. As long as the mainspring is OK, I can handle everything else.

NC.jpg
NC.jpg (17.31 KiB) Viewed 4988 times
IF
Irwin
GH Moderator

New postby brownsrplm » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:28 pm

Irwin,
Actually got both for under $300, which for around here isn't too bad these days. Would like to have paid your price, but too many know the value of these and snatch them up when they can. I did find a fellow in Australia who made exact duplicates of the missing guard and bought one of those (for now). I will replace it with an original when I can find one.

By the way, nice find!! Looks to me like you have a better variety of that sort of thing at your location.
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby Irwin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:09 pm

That sounds like a good price.
I am now working on regulating the JUF.
IF
Irwin
GH Moderator

New postby brownsrplm » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:51 pm

Took a look at this clock this afternoon and found out there was a slight bend in the base that was hindering pendulum swing. I took the base apart and found it had two steel plates with fiber plates in between them to give the pillars some strength when it was put together. The brass base itself is made out of 14 or 16 gauge metal and very easy to bend. I laid it on a flat surface upside down and straightened it out, put it back together and started it. That was a little after noon today. It is still running now and on time, so it looks like I just have a clean-up job to do on this one! What a lucky break. The dial is porcelain and has no hairlines or cracks in it, so it will show very nice once I get it all cleaned up.

Disc only swings 180* but it stays running and is accurate so I don't see anything wrong there.
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby veritas » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:55 pm

Very nice Ray you did well i think on the price. I know i see them go high on Ebay. A susp guard should come along on Ebay, its a good place to look. As for polishing and cleaning i would, i dont think it would affect its value or anything.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

New postby brownsrplm » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:22 pm

Kevin,
Suspension guard came in the mail today. I bought it from a guy in Sydney. Now she is complete and I can start the cleaning process. It is still running as we speak and on time. In another 30 minutes it will have run a full day.
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby Irwin » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:58 pm

Ray - Does it have a matching serial number on the base of the disc?
IF
Irwin
GH Moderator

New postby brownsrplm » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:03 pm

Yes, it does. I didn't figure there would be anything on it as most don't, but apparently it was done long ago mainly to keep them matched up for timing purposes (I guess).
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby brownsrplm » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:51 pm

Finally got her finished! I decided to leave the outside of the base alone since it was a real bear to clean and I figure since it gets handled the most it wouldn't do it any harm. I've pulled out the Urania to start work on it. It has a funky looking top bracket and saddle setup on it. Looks like a Kienzle Standard one. So, someone in the past may have changed the whole setup on it and I'm going to have to figure this one out the hard way. Plates match up perfectly (including the G in the lower left corner) to a 1908 Jahresuhrenfabrik, but it doesn't use that saddle setup. Anyhow here's a couple pictures of the 1902 Gustav Becker.

DSC00233.JPG

DSC00234.JPG
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby veritas » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:27 am

Looking good Ray the GB. I just bought one.
Does yours have a steel plate under the pendulum, and also how high up is your pendulum from the base. Mine looks high.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

Next

Return to Torsion Pendulum Clocks