Herr Standard 55 - dragging suspension spring

Discussions about Torsion Pendulum Clocks

Herr Standard 55 - dragging suspension spring

New postby jbofisch » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:45 pm

I just ran into an interesting one. I have had a 1951 Rex (Herr standard 55) 400 day model on display in an antique store (fully restored, I thought). It was keeping good time for several months. I came by yesterday, and it had stopped! I finally noticed that the balls were dragging on the base plate! The time hadn't been very good lately, and I made some rate adjustments, but didn't really pay close attention to what was happening. I am guessing that some hot weather recently allowed the suspension spring to expand to the point that the balls dragged. On further investigation I see that the Horolovar springs were not around in 1951, and I suspect that it is the original spring. I am ordering a Horolovar spring to see what happens. All comments welcomed.

Jim Fischer
James G. Fischer
jbofisch

NAWCC #: 0165912

Re: Herr Standard 55 - dragging suspension spring

New postby John Nagle » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:42 pm

The springs were not as capable of handling temperature change as the Horolovar suspension springs but it would be extremely unusual to have that much of a change. Not completely ruling it out because you can never say never with clock problems but chances are better the spring slipped a little in one of the blocks, frame or suspension brackett has been slightly distorted to change the heighth or the top bracket slipped a little due to a slightly loose screw.
Another thing that can also cause a change is regulation of the pendulum. This not only changes the position of the balls horizontally but also slightly vertically too. Kepp us posted!
John
John Nagle
John Nagle

New postby jbofisch » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:37 pm

Thanks, John. That sounds perfectly reasonable. I hope to let you know about this once I get the new spring - I will compare bracket locations and tightness at that time.

Jim Fischer
James G. Fischer
jbofisch

New postby John Nagle » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:05 am

Jim,
I received your email, replied, deleted message , then received an unable to send post so I will give you an answer here. I have also seen the mounting brackets telescoped when the nuts have been tightened more than necessary collapsing the sometimes thin spacers.
You will probably have to return your replacement unit to the supply house for a credit or refund. When I used to do clockwork it was not unusual to receive mispackaged replacement suspension springs or suspension units.
I am sure you have already noticed this but there is a difference in dimensions between the Horolovar spring and springs from other manufactureres.
I too suspect fluttering based on the info you gave me.
Have a great weekend!
john
John Nagle
John Nagle

New postby jbofisch » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:19 am

John,

I got it keeping good time - finally (and the balls are far off the deck). For those who may be following this story, but missed my e-mail to you, the problem of dragging balls was due to the pillar posts leaning to the back. I had to shim them to get perpendicular to base bottom surface. The next problem was that I had timed the rotation EXACTLY to 8 per minute, yet the clock ran pretty fast. I suspected fluttering or perhaps some bad escape wheel teeth allowing more than one tooth to go by per "tic". However, after a lot of time observing, there was no fluttering. After several hours, the time keeping was close. Is it possible that I had too much over spin on the pendulum, and in time it slowed down? Would that account for this weird behavior? At any rate, the clock has been keeping good time now for several days and is still timed EXACTLY at 8 swings per minute.

Jim Fischer
James G. Fischer
jbofisch

New postby Joseph T. Collins » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:15 pm

Jim,

I never try to set the BPM until the clock has run at least an hour allowing it to settle in. If I am not satisfied with the over swing I work on that before trying to regulate. As a side note: With some clocks the over swing is less from the bottom to the top of the hour than it is from the top to the bottom. The hands don't weigh much but sometimes they weigh enough to cause a few degrees variance.

Joe
Joseph T. Collins

Skype Account: alveyjoe

New postby veritas » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:09 am

400 day clocks are a different clock.On the other site i am doubted sometimes with my opinions.The more you work on them you willlearn more about them.Dont be afraid to experiment and learn, that,,s what clock repair is all about.I had a thick susp spring on a clock and it gained a lot of time.The beats per minute were more as the spring was too thick.
Any ways i went with a thinner spring, a tenth of a thou less and my problem was solved.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

Return to Torsion Pendulum Clocks