1954 Kaiser Universe 400 Day

Discussions about Torsion Pendulum Clocks

1954 Kaiser Universe 400 Day

New postby brownsrplm » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:01 pm

I finally found a great representation of a highly desirable Kaiser Universe clock. This one was purchased off the bay and came from a collector who purchased it new in 1954. It is totally unmolested and original. I bought this one on Thanksgiving day and only had one other person for competition. Needless to say I was able to get it far under the going price for one of these! All paint is intact and it is running, however it needs a cleaning and more than likely needs to be timed. It has the original key and papers to include the tag hanging off the lower left side of the support frame.

They didn't make a whole lot of these so owning one that is in good original condition is a nice addition to my collection...

DSC00722.JPG

DSC00723.JPG

DSC00724.JPG

DSC00725.JPG
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

Re: 1954 Kaiser Universe 400 Day

New postby cannon pinion » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:22 pm

The only time I've ever seen a mainspring barrel that big is on a cabinet music box that played 8 different tunes.
Nice looking gizmo. To benefit others as ignorant as myself, could you explain any complications? Does the globe up top revolve? Signs of the zodiac move? What kind of escapement?
It looks robustly made, but straightfoward.
Andrew Yale
cannon pinion

New postby brownsrplm » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:07 pm

Andy,
The main spring barrel is large to hold a spring big enough to carry power that lasts 400 days roughly. This is considered one of or maybe the most complicated anniversary clock made for production. It does have a working moon phase globe on it. It has a standard verge type escapement similar to most clocks with adjustable pallets. This clock was made in a very small quantity (only a few thousand) and was made from 1953/54.
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

New postby veritas » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:36 am

Wow Raymund, that is one great looking clock. You dont see many of those around, sweet.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

Return to Torsion Pendulum Clocks